The Latest

We have had numerous promos in Perth tonight about the Latest.

1 Like

They showed the plasma screen during the closer last night:

7 Likes

Wonderful sounding piano based/slow version of the theme at the end of the bulletin tonight, with sad stories shown.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Some caps of NYE coverage tonight:

6 Likes

13 Likes

That ending sounded very Sunday-esque with Jim Waley.

2 Likes

Puzzling scheduling again next week no edition of The Latest on Friday 11 and Saturday 12 and then on the Sunday there is a double header Big Bash.

I can’t see them sticking with this.

1 Like

They have put an awful lot into it just to ditch altogether after cricket. Why bother with creating new graphics and a new desk when it’s for non-ratings. A similar result could have been achieved with the Sydney set and normal news graphics if need be.

4 Likes

I don’t think it was ever said that it will end soon as the cricket does. Time will tell I guess, but hoping it does stay because its probably one of the best products Seven has produced.

7 Likes

Nah, I can Seven sticking with it. Ratings have been healthy.

1 Like

Ratings have been healthy, but mainly thanks to the Cricket lead-in.

Once the Big Bash Cricket finishes, I do hope that The Latest remains, and in a constant timeslot.

Not sure if it will continue on Fridays and Saturdays once the AFL starts, as the AFL tends to finish extremely overtime 99.89% of the time.

4 Likes

I hope it stays. We need it. There’s also room in the market IMO for Nightline. As America wakes up and more news breaks, it provides the opportunity to broadcast it as it happens.

8 Likes

I’d like to see your calculations for this number!

1 Like

lol, sorry, it was a tongue-in-cheek calculation. It just seems to be that high of a % that the AFL runs extremely overtime to boost the late-night ratings share.

1 Like

All good, knew it was but fairly accurate nonetheless!

1 Like

I only watched this for the first time last night, can’t believe how much better the supers are. They fit in really well with the cross box background and very smoothy animate. Such a massive improvement on their normal news package.

My only criticism would be the animation for the headlines in the opener is a bit much - I don’t know why they’re animating under the wipe… can’t they just change along with it?

6 Likes

One of a couple of things that is deeply concerning me about this show… Is their seemingly disregard for actually breaking news and flippant use of terms like ‘late breaking’ or ‘just into the newsroom’…

They just lead an update at 10.35pm by saying a nursing home worker has just been arrested over the assault of five residents… She hasn’t… 10 News had breaking news on this at 5pm and 7 neglected it, with no mention of it in their 6pm bulletin…

As far as I’m concerned they’ve totally missed the boat on that story but are trying to portray it as something else.

There have been numerous other times where they say ‘this vision has just come into the newsroom’ - well when it’s more than 24 hours old, it just makes the bulletin look silly!!!

5 Likes

Why are there no editions of The Latest on the Friday and Saturday?

Can only assume that’ll be Michael Usher’s first day off in a month.

Today marks his 20th day in a row.

4 Likes