News Themes

and if somehow we got our grubby little hands on a lossless version, then there would be even more details that you’d hear. it’s a shame Soundcloud compresses at 128kbps and not 320.

I wonder if in the source page, it’s only embedded through Soundcloud and not their website - I wish I could do a bit of digging around

it literally sounds like whoever just set a hot cue point and pressed it at sort of the right time. I think it’s fine for networks or whoever to create edits to suit the broadcast, but they should really be given like a 12 track file so then it doesn’t sound as bad and can incorporate parts of the piece to their desires without subtracting from the original piece.

I think they’d have a few versions available to them. Ten Adelaide aired a rare variation a few years ago with a number of usual instruments (e.g. percussion) removed. Unfortunately the end sting got chopped off of my recording… but I’ve played around a bit with Ten Brisbane’s closer and the end is sort of OK now I guess so I’ll share :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Here’s ABC News Breakfast if it hasn’t been posted. http://www.dewolfemusic.com/search.php?id=12957885&code=OLjByZ

4 Likes

Interesting, didn’t realise that the 2017-current News Breakfast theme was actually production music.

What I’d be very interested to (but probably won’t ever) hear at some point in the future is a clean/full copy of the 2017-current versions of the ABC News or SBS World News themes. Both of those are excellent IMO! :slight_smile:

1 Like

posting here to not clog the 10 threads up.

Ten Perth recently tweeted out an extended video of ‘Team Ten Perth’. It features the eyewitness theme’s regular headline bed.

and here’s the direct link to the video

2 Likes

I appreciate you bringing this clip to our attention, but that the track used might be the 1 Minute Version (yes, I’m pretty sure there’s a longer version out there somewhere) of the now old closing theme?

After 45 seconds of the 2013-18 Opener/Headline Bed, the theme transitioned into that dramatic drumbeating portion for a bit! :slight_smile:

1 Like

you’re right. I like to think of them as multiple versions, why I wrote regular bed.

there’s also the ‘alternate/inverted sounding’ bed, the ‘late news’ bed, then the ‘CBS This Morning Bed’.

I do think that all these ‘versions’ are just on the same track (song for a better word) but different segments that’ve been spliced together. My theory would mean there would be transitional phrases in the track between one segment and the next that we’ve never heard (apart from a time apparently in the morning news when the audio went to shit the first time but no one was recording, so we got a 1:30 clean closer).

2 Likes

Yeah, there were probably multiple versions of the same theme just with different levels of instrumentation.

There were even different versions of stings, such as the “Return From Break” sting with the drums and another “chimeless” sting mainly used by TVQ.

2 Likes

Originally posted here: Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020) - #4721 by marquisite … for anyone who missed the 10 News First theme clip from CBS This Morning (you’re excused, the topic has been a hive of activity :wink:):

Also the sad version heard I believe only once in Adelaide, in 2013 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1P6LIi_bI

7 Likes

that’s the version QLD used to use to close their bulletins. I just put 2 and 2 together :joy:

2 Likes

Having listened to the theme multiple times now, surely I’m not the only one who gets the impression that Ten and/or Les Gock (or whoever composed this) couldn’t make up which “mood” they wanted the new theme to be in?

Like this could’ve turned out to be a beautiful update if it was decided the theme needed to be in only one or two moods, but you’ve got hints of the 2005-08 theme, the 2013-18 Eyewitness theme, CBS Evening News’ theme (especially with the “phone alert” style bleeps which IMO, would probably make a better transition SFX than the new “swooshes” which are nowhere near as strong or powerful as those used previously) and what seems to be a completely new/different style all competing for each other which makes for a rather messy sound IMO.

1 Like

I actually prefer this theme to the previous one. Here’s my order of the themes which have used the four notes, I expect it to be quite contentious:
1994 - 2005
2005 - 2008
2008 - 2011
2018 - present
2013 - 2018
2011 - 2013 (I hated this theme)

2 Likes

Each to their own. With additional commentary, mine would probably be something like…

*2013-18: Probably could’ve still held up well if Ten decided not to update the music and keep it in use for the new look.
*2005-08: A good mix for its time, but it should be remembered for what it was rather than something we want to hear used again on TV now.
*1994-2005: The original was good for its time, but we’ve since seen (or more to the point, heard) better versions.
*2008-11: Some decent variety with the orchestral mixes used during the closer…and I think TVQ also made use of some decent cuts (only ever heard on TV in Sydney/nationally during some 2011 Floods bulletins IIRC) that the rest of the network didn’t really?
*2018-current: See post above.
*2011-13: Although personally, I think the stings used without the beeps in 2012-13 weren’t that bad. If it wasn’t for the beeps, I think people might’ve had a more positive opinion on this version since there are some tiny hints of inspiration from the original 1994 version if you listen closely enough.

3 Likes

My favourite remains as the Eyewitness News theme until I can hear this one in full.

4 Likes

My two favourites are the Eyewitness News theme and the 2005-08 theme, both for different reasons so I can’t really compare the two.

I think the “alternate” Eyewitness News theme found by @theGradyConnell would’ve fit perfectly with News First.

2 Likes

I really believe they could have built a new 10News First theme out of the drum hits in this. Obviously I’m referring to this “alternate” DA office version. I understand they wanted a new brand to go with the look. However the drum hits in this demand authority, and that could have been the centerpiece of a new theme. Put a new tune underneath them and you have authority, the history and brand of Ten as well as a new and fresh identity. The new one just isn’t as powerful and although I’m slowly warming to it, it’s very electro and not as attention grabbing. The words “shallow” and “tinny” come to mind, it needs more oomph

1 Like

Now that I think about it, the graphics package starting to look tired (I think) may have influenced my decision to have the 2013 theme so low. I would have probably put it higher if the theme carried over. I feel that it’s worthy to note that the theme still would have fitted in well with the new package, it still sounds modern. I completely agree that the old theme is more hard hitting though.

I actually would love to hear the old theme with the new package, would be an interesting mock. I could change my opinion then!

1 Like

It is a beautiful update. You’re hearing things.

1 Like

I hear something awesome and cinematic in it. Like something from Hans Zimmer. Is it just me?

The DA/ST theme posted to SoundCloud sounds like a first draft of what Ten wanted. That and a lot less compression since we’re not through broadcast television.

I think the current 10NF theme needs a little bit more texturing - more notes and rising progressions (quasi-solos?) from different sections of the orchestra.

1 Like