Newcastle Radio

1 Like

Quite young as well :frowning:

2 Likes
1 Like

As mentioned in the “Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)” thread (see post), KOFM will rebrand to Triple M on Friday 9th November.

This will leave 2HD & New FM to be the only commercial stations to maintain its local branding, especially with the latter celebrating its 30th birthday next year.

2 Likes

Will they capitalise on it? Sadly not I’m guessing.

Radioinfo article has a comment added to it:

1 Like

Triple M in Newcastle was bound to happen at some stage, though many parts of Newcastle you can get Triple M Sydney. Seems a big change for a station like KOFM. I still think they have many listeners from the old 2KO days who may not like the change.

4 Likes

And even in a few isolated spots, Triple M Port Macquarie (100.7) as well.

1 Like

And there’s the absurdity of it. Quintessential Sydney term forced on a very parochial town of its own. 9 have handled well the retention of the NBN brand, whilst SCA show their usual stubborn ineptitude.

4 Likes

It’d be great if 2HD and New FM really capitalised on SCA rebranding KOFM to Triple M by promoting themselves as the true local radio stations for Newcastle, especially with next year’s 30th birthday of New FM.

But that most likely won’t happen, since we’re talking about another broadcaster that has quite a lot of networked programming (maybe not quite as much as SCA stations do, but still) and has also failed to capitalise on the blunders of MRN Sydney in recent years…

Maybe after Nine initially bought NBN Television in 2007, but since March 2016 the branding situation there has been an absolute mess IMO.

3 Likes

I understand what you mean, I’ve had a peek at the NBN threads here. For me, the news remains, Big Dog so the brand, its value, its worth lives on.

1 Like

That would only work until people actually listened to either in those stations - they’d be straight back to SCA.

At least the same, if not more as far as the Newcastle stations are concerned.

2 Likes

From Radioinfo:

Newcastle community radio station 2NUR has breached the sponsorship guidelines by playing more than the mandated 5 minutes per hour, according to an ACMA Investigation.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/2nur-breaches-sponsorship-limits

2 Likes

KOFM skipped out on Thursday night NRL, dispite advertising it.

Looks like the 2HD repeater on 90.5 for the Belmont North area has been approved

https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Spectrum-for-broadcasting/Licence-area-plans/final-licence-area-plans-broadcast-planning-acma

And so will follow the next round of requests for translators in other corners of the licence area, up the Hunter and out to Dungog.

2 Likes

I don’t follow this thread much so only just learned of the 90.5 proposal over the weekend. The goal is clearly to cover the whole of Newcastle on FM- which they pretty much already do with 97.5 from Port Stephens. A gross waste of spectrum and I think there will be other casualties down the low end to follow.

4 Likes

They’re both lame ducks and have been since falling into Caralis’s ownership.

so interestingly the NEW2UW.com starts in 13 minutes in Newcastle, streaming online around the world with a 60s-80s format. It’s being run by Newcastle radio icons like David Sayers and Michael Blaxland.

You can download the app and listen online at http://www.new2uw.com/

1 Like