Newcastle Radio

The new home to discuss radio in the Newcastle market.

2 Likes

I thought the Radio Today interview with Mike Byrne, CD of NX/KO, was fascinating. Usually you get the same responses from people when asked these questions, such as ā€œwant to get to #1 etc etcā€ but Mike, being the open and honest person he is, went much deeperā€¦ and as a result, made this series much better.

I thought Iā€™d share two of his responses:

Biggest challenge facing your stations in next 12-months?

Overall Iā€™d say itā€™s engaging with listeners in an ever increasingly busy world. Balancing the revenue needs of the business with an audience that is less and less tolerant to commercial messages. Locally weā€™ve just launched a new breakfast show on NXFM ā€œNick and Sophieā€ so thereā€™s plenty of work to be done getting them out into the market and endearing themselves to Newcastleā€™s under 40ā€™s. Early sign are positive but everyone knows how much work is involved in building a new show. Really excited by that though. For KO itā€™s steady as she goes with arguably one of the best breakfast shows in regional Australia ā€œTanya and Steveā€. More fine tuning of the show and the station in general.

The year in review, what are you most pleased with from 2015.

Firstly Iā€™m just ecstatic to have been asked back to the SCA fold and back to my favourite city after nearly 10 years away. Iā€™m so passionate about these 2 brands and despite some challenging surveys in 2015 I firmly believe both brands are in excellent shape for 2016. Some tough decisions have been made, but the future looks bright. Iā€™m most pleased with the amazing team we have built here, itā€™s a perfect mix of fresh, hungry new talent and experienced old hands and weā€™re all passionate and determined to win but also determined to enjoy ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously.

Revenue vs listenersā€¦ itā€™s always going to be a problem and will get more and more so with more choices online, streaming services et al. I can handle three minute breaks but sometimes American stations go into breaks for 6+ minutes at a timeā€¦ this is truly ridiculous and I hope we donā€™t go down the same route.

Thanks for posting, MarkHD.
Iā€™d be surprised if local stations did try 6+ minutes of ads at a time.

I would like to see local stations revisit the original Nova model of ā€œno more than 2 ads in a rowā€ (and they only had 5 minutes of ads per hour I think) and they used to charge a premium for their spots because of its presumed effectiveness. Or to go something like that.

Donā€™t think it will happen, Nova did move away from that, I assume they just didnā€™t make enough money from that model as they wanted to.

Well done to Nick Blanch and the team at KO - live and local all night (except for an hour at 7pm so Nick could have a break). Nickā€™s been going for over 12 hours now.

Aaron Kearney, Jenny Marchant and the team at 1233ABC doing a superb job all night too.

NX also live and local overnight.

Not sure about 2HD and NEWFM.

Great effort from Charlestown and inner-Newcastle.

When I get info about 2HD and NEW and what they did overnight, Iā€™ll post.

Itā€™s really hard this time of year because so many people are still away - so good job everyone.

1 Like

Credit to New FM online, they were posting quite a bit of info on their FB pages all night. Unsure what they did last night as they donā€™t stream but I echo @MarkHD that KOFM and 1233 were excellent last night. I was flicking between the 2 trying to assist a family member driving in this lovely weather.

KOā€™s new lineup is:

6-9 Tanya/Steve
9-12 Jeremy Ryan (continues doing sport on breakfast)
12-4 Little Andy Ambrose Cosmos Simpson (donā€™t ask - an in-joke!)
4-7 Nick Blanchard Blanch
7-10 GYIM with Christian Argenti

No idea why they donā€™t run network feed overnight, but they donā€™tā€¦ they just re-run that daysā€™ music in random order.

well this could have been interesting - 2 stations doing an OB from the same store:

KO was broadcasting from Domayne Maitland today 9-midday with JR, now Iā€™ve just seen this from New:

1053 NEW FM ā€@1053NEWFM 51m51 minutes ago
Bob is broadcasting live from DOMAYNE Maitland until 1pm for their huge BYOD Expo ā€¦ Catch up with The NEWcrewā€¦ http://fb.me/6RePntjJe

KOFM Newcastle ā€@1029KOFM 34m34 minutes ago
The #KORoadRunner is cooking up a STORM at @DomayneAU #Maitland for their #BYOD #SALE with @JRTheSportsGuy!

KOFM readying itself for a major music test in the next few weeks as it invites selected Music Jurors into a special 2 hour ā€œhundreds of songsā€ AMT that will run from Feb 16-23. People who complete the test in the time period allowed will receive $100 worth of gift cards.

Righto weā€™ve got some great news for youā€¦ Want to help define the entire KOFM playlist? This is an invite to register your interest to be a part of our epic Jumbo Jury Duty.

What is it: Itā€™s like regular Music Jury but you get to rate hundreds of songs. The best bit - you get rewarded with $100 worth of gift cards if youā€™re one of ā€˜the chosenā€™ and you finish within the specified time frame.

When is it: It starts midday Tuesday the 16th of February through to midday Tuesday the 23rd of February.

Where is it: Your house, lounge, toilet, bedā€¦ wherever you have a computer.

The signup specifically asks if you have listened to NEWFM recently. Obviously this AMT is designed to sculpt a Newcastle playlist and really focus on nailing the market.

As I said back in November, in 2016 music will be the star of KO.

Would do it but being an employee at SCA newcastle shortly sadly wonā€™t be possible for me. Nailing the market will be important and hearing a good selection of music voted by the people would be good. BUT wondering if this data is sent to the Gold Coast or its so let for Newcastle.

I think NEWFM has changed its processing after 27 years, & if what Iā€™m hearing is correct, Iā€™d say itā€™s not for the better.

Iā€™ve been listening to so many different audio processing settings of late, trying to get my stationā€™s processing right, so Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™m just hearing imaginary audio?

NEWFM had one of the best ā€œsoundsā€ in Australia, with many stations trying to replicate it. The new Optimods couldnā€™t replicate the sound either, thatā€™s why they stuck with the old/original Optimod from 1989, & had a newer one as backup.

Maybe the old girlā€™s given up & died, so theyā€™re using the newer backup Optimod, or theyā€™ve got a new engineer who ā€œknows betterā€?

I think 2HDā€™s processing is different too? 2HD sounds differently depending on if theyā€™re using the main or back TX though, so canā€™t say what it is with 2HD?

I havenā€™t listened to NEW much lately, but Iā€™ll given it a listenā€¦

I agree that NEW did sound better than a lot of stationsā€¦ itā€™s kinda WEIRD though that todayā€™s processors donā€™t sound as good as the ones from the 80sā€¦ ?? Maybe thereā€™s simply too much digitisation that goes on todayā€¦

weird you say that, I was listening on Thursday and Friday morning and felt it sounded even more crisp than usual.

Must be my ears.

I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s crisp, thereā€™s more top end.

Listen to the ā€œessesā€ in speech.

I have a 9 speaker stereo in my car with sub woofer & separate tweeters, thereā€™s a lot of top end, & itā€™s very woofy.

I think thereā€™s less mid/high bass frequencies than there was, but more/too much, low/sub bass.

I think itā€™s also lost some of itā€™s depth?

Thereā€™s a lot of everything in the audio, & listening on my good studio monitoring headphones, the sound is very full, borderline distortion, sounds like itā€™s got the life compressed out of it.

Itā€™s definitely nowhere near as clean/clear as it use to be.

Iā€™d rate NX & KO"s sound much better than NEW now. I canā€™t exactly put my finger on whatā€™s wrong with NEW, atm itā€™s just not right.

Maybe back off the compression & it might help?

VERY interesting. I am absolutely adament it sounded so much better the other day when I was listening, although I did think Cathy Dinn was VTing 9am because she didnā€™t sound ā€œliveā€. The flatness now would explain that.

I just sat in my Honda CRV and drove around town, they played Barry Whiteā€™s ā€œCanā€™t Get Enough Of Your Loveā€ and youā€™re right - it is woeful all of a sudden. It distorts and thereā€™s nothing clean.

Just from my quick listen:

1 - JJJ
2 - NX
3 - KO
4 - NUR
5 - NEW
6 - Power

Silly question (feel free to laugh) but I notice that JJJ sounds the best out of any station where ever I go. I gather these are all satellite fed? And do they have an optimod at every transmitter? Thanks.

probably completely wrong, but I wonder if they have more power than the commercials, hence sound better?

Base power or ERP?

Good to see 2VLY is still sounding great :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: