Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

I agree, I think greatest hits was the go. Just the massively high rotation is ridiculous.

2 Likes

No It just not you, I thought the same thing. Even the same 80’s and 90’s hits were getting flogged to death. As what Karen-Cee said it sounds more like 97.3 and the old 106.5, 101.1 Mix stations.

2 Likes

Looking at their ‘Now Playing/Songs Played’ feature on their website & comparing it with other stations, it appears that Triple M in Hobart are now taking the 70s to Now log. It was previously carrying the 80s, 90s & Now log.

Triple M in Cairns, after having previously carried the 70s to Now log, is now carrying the 80s, 90s & Now log.

4 Likes

I thought they have been on the 80’s, 90’s & now log for the past 12 months.

The 70’s to Now is a much better log then that horrid 80’s to Now Log.

2 Likes

They were, but for the first 1/2 of this year, they were on the 70s to Now log.

I agree. From a Sydney radio listeners’ point-of-view, it’s a pity that 2GO isn’t on the 70s to Now log, as the 80s, 90s & Now log that the station carries is a little too close to what Star 104.5 sounds like. Judging by the ratings last year, SCA should just take the plunge & switch 2GO to the 70s to Now log to be a bit more musically different from the much higher-rating Star.

At least Triple M Hobart now has a bit of a musical point-of-difference to that of 7HO, which might help them overtake the latter in the overall ratings.

3 Likes

4TO FM will relaunch as Triple M on Monday, September 3, reports Radio Today.

KOFM are set to follow on Friday, November 9.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/SCA/status/1026262946857406465

The end of a legend…:cry:

5 Likes

Comment made to Radioinfo article:

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/dates-set-triple-m-rebrand-newcastle-and-townsville

2 Likes

It hasn’t come as any shock to any of us, it’s been widely known for a while. All shows, staff etc stay the same. It’s just a brand change. Here’s the full release:

Townsville’s 4TOFM and Newcastle’s KOFM enter a new era with Triple M

Southern Cross Austereo today announced that Townsville’s 4TOFM and Newcastle’s KOFM will be renamed under the Triple M brand.

As the Triple M network continues to grow, these stations will enter a new era under one of Australia’s most iconic radio brands with 36 stations nationally, plus four digital Triple M stations.

Triple M Townsville and Triple M Newcastle will continue to produce local shows and content for their listeners, that’s Pricey for Breakfast in Townsville and Tanya & Steve in Newcastle, plus provide the widest variety of music, sport and comedy.

In addition, the hilarious Kennedy Molloy with Mick Molloy and Jane Kennedy will be heard each weekday afternoon from 4pm-6pm, as well as the Triple M NRL call from Thursday – Sunday during footy season.

There’s only one Triple M and there will be even more access to amazing prizes and live events with the new Triple M Newcastle and Triple M Townsville set to provide everything local and more!

SCA’s Head of Content for Regional Radio, Mickey Maher said, “We are proud and passionate about the communities we are part of and the local content we deliver. We’re excited to bring one of the country’s most iconic media brands, Triple M to Newcastle and Townsville.”

Triple M Townsville will launch on Monday 3 September and Triple M Newcastle on Friday 9 November.

2 Likes

So just one local program in both cities.

1 Like

No. Everything remains as is except branding.

1 Like

Even if it’s only a branding change, this is very sad news for radio in both the Townsville & Newcastle markets!

8 Likes

Will the NRL shows finally be taken?

Not sure what I o think I mean I love Triple M but a world without 4TO and KOFM?

Former 4TO-4CA owner Mike Willesee would be horrified if he knew or cared (I reckon). :smiley:

3 Likes

Nope, local 6am to 4pm as has been the case for a while. Then Kennedy Molloy from Melbourne, Greatest Years from the Goldie, Australia By Night from Newcastle, Night Shift from Sydney.

As I said above, the only thing that changes is the name and obviously the production sweepers etc.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks. That press release should have been clearer as it gives the impression only breakfast is local.

2 Likes

Sigh…

May as well just relay 104.9 and be done with it. You know they will do it in the end.

“Now Sydney’s second lowest commercial FM radio station comes to Townsville. The station that Sydney stopped listening to over a decade ago is here - Welcome to Sydney’s Rock and Comedy on Townsville’s Triple M.”

It would probably have made more business sense to change Triple M’s name to 2TO, use the 4TO playlist and relay Pricey to breakfast on 104.9

It’s s pity as the 4TO logo is a good symbol that represents tropical North Queensland

7 Likes

We’ve all known it, it’s close to a year late on what was announced for the first round of brand axings.

Mark, you and us all know that it’s more than a brand change, it’s destroying decades of brand recognition and goodwill for the sake of simplistic arguments that don’t pass the test of first year uni subjects on critical thinking and common fallacies.

Minty has been on air until 5pm and KO kept going until some time ago disappointingly:

4 Likes