New Zealand TV

PSA billboard

2 Likes

I don’t like that, I prefer they highlight each channel and TVNZ+ together to make it more cohesive rather than separate identities.

Classification warning

Here’s my version of the on-air presentation refresh montage I recorded across the TVNZ networks:

1 Like

Sky Sport 1 will show the World Cup intercontinental play-off between NZ and Costa Rica live from Qatar tomorrow (Wednesday) from 5.30am, with the last spot in this year’s tournament up for grabs. Kick off is at 6am.

1 Like

Latest numbers has MasterChef NZ coming out on top but both programmes have split the audience and allowed TVNZ 1 an easy win

Australia has qualified for the World Cup this morning. Let’s hope our All Whites manage to win to advance for the first time in 12 years.

2 Likes

More ratings for MasteChef NZ Vs MasterChef AU:

2 Likes

Interestingly, Sky didn’t have their own reporter on the ground for the game and used Newshub’s Narelle Sindos (who was a former Sky Sport presenter) for crosses and post-game interviews.

They credited her as Newshub’s Narelle Sindos and she used a Newshub mic for the interviews.

Guessing she was ‘loaned’ for the match or there was some sort of cost-sharing arrangement.

3 Likes

I wish Sky and Newshub would merge…

1 Like

Doesn’t look like Newshub is doing very well in the ratings…

(https://twitter.com/ChrisKeall/status/1537278737087340545)

I don’t think Newshub has ever rated well in the 5+ demo. Still quite incredible to see how well 1News rates.

It is a sad reflection of the older generations viewing habbits when The Chase bloopers repeat is the third most watched show of the week. It will only encourage them to repeat it again and again.

3 Likes

Agree, although there’s an element of ‘chicken and egg’ given its slot time. And it’s not like it’s competing against anything particularly more cerebral on the other channels.

2 Likes

This Time Next Year Australia premieres on Three next Wednesday (June 22) at 9.30pm. Hosted by Karl Stefanovic, two seasons aired on Nine in Australia in 2017 and 2019. Three is starting with the first season.

I suspect that if 1 News were presented by candlelight and read in Latin, it would still outrate Newshub. I have to wonder whether Discovery might cut back on the amount of Newshub output in the future?

(As an aside, before they purchased TV3, one of the other contenders was supposedly - believe it or not - Paul Henry. His grand plan, had he bought it, would have been to shut down Newshub and focus just on current affairs).

1 Like

I doubt Newshub would care about 5+ figures and would be more concerned with the 25-54 and 18-49 demos.

4 Likes

This is very interesting analysis of the NZ TV ratings decline.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Surely there’ll be a point where audiences stablise, like other entertainment medium’s before it.
I think TV networks need to stop trying to compete with streamers and curate their content better. They need to add value to it, to understand when a group of people will sit down to a scheduled programme, and give people a reason to tune in. That’s why sport remains viable on TV… will that be all TV becomes, sportscasts?