New Zealand TV

I’m not sure why the need the “Now Playing” captions - surely the play button would do on it’s own? It’s been a standard icon since the cassette deck (possibly even earlier?)

1 Like

Possibly and live news.

I think it’s going to become even harder to find that “why” for people to tune in. Before the days of streaming, or let’s say high speed internet, if you wanted to watch some thing else than what was on in the main TV of the house, you probably but not always retreated to a bedroom TV or you just watched what was in the lounge. Now, you can have everyone in the house watching different content on all different devices. This isn’t a new point, but I think the notion of a group of people settling in to watch certain content is probably over.

Very likely.

What I guess the graphs really highlight is that broadcast isn’t the only way to access content (which has been largely enabled by UFB and smarty-devices).
I’ve love to see the streaming numbers to see breakdown of the real audience share to see if people are tuning out or simply watching through different means.

1 Like

POV: TVNZ party

I notice that this Wednesday’s episode of MasterChef Australia will be split into two. The team relay challenge will be shown at the normal time of 7.30pm, but viewers will have to wait until 11.40pm for the first MasterClass of the season.
In Australia, the two episodes were shown back to back in a two-hour timeslot.

I think the Masterclasses have always rated poorly in NZ, but they must be obliged to air them.

@Horomono @OnAir Friday 24 June marks the arrival of Matariki as New Zealand’s newest public holiday.

Live from Te Papa in Wellington, Prime and Māori TV will have full coverage of the Matariki celebrations from 6-11am with Stacey Morrison and Matai Smith as hosts. The combined Prime/Māori TV broadcast will also be shown simultaneously on Three (until 9am) and TVNZ 1 (until 10am).

And on Prime, there will be a half hour documentary called “Matariki Explained” which screens later that day at 5pm. For centuries, the appearance of Matariki signalled the arrival of the Māori new year. It’s your chance to learn more about the science, the traditions and the ways we, the people of Aotearoa New Zealand, can celebrate today. As I said earlier, “Matariki Explained” will screen at 5pm this Friday on Prime.

3 Likes

The Variety article mentions Far North is being produced for Warner Bros. Discovery in NZ, so it will air on Three I presume?

2 Likes

The legislation for the new public media entity has been introduced to parliament; TVNZ and RNZ to be dissolved by March 1st 2023 (Which is before the next election is due).

https://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2022/0146/latest/LMS647920.html?src=qs

5 Likes

Horrendous name…hopefully just the one for the overarching entity and ANZPM doesn’t appear on screen or on air.

8 Likes

Hopefully they will find a smoother ‘brand’ name.

I think ANZPM will be the official name but TVNZ and RNZ will remain the public names.

However, if the government insists on a single name for the new public broadcaster, I do have two suggestions:
Radio Television Aotearoa (RTA)
Aotearoa Media Corporation (AMCo, to distinguish it from AMC Network from USA)

I don’t think it will be tenable keeping the TVNZ and RNZ separate brands long term as online will become the main source of output anyway.

ABC America and Australia seem to exist together fine.

Which is why we should add a third one with Aotearoa Broadcasting Corporation.

:upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

I think using ‘broadcasting’ in this new entity would be incredibly dated and not fit for purpose.

3 Likes

Aotearoa Public Media / APM would be less of a mouthful.

No way will that be the brand name. I expect the new brand will be much snappier, probably something (partially?) in Maori.

4 Likes

I believe it’s a concert

It looks like it by the look of the picture