NBN News

I haven’t seen the weather flipper on Today for weeks now.

1 Like

Probably not until the night of the first Honeysuckle bulletin.

Probably because the branding is so inconsistent: NBN News on Channel Nine.

As far as the most populated TV markets of Australia are concerned, I’m pretty sure Newcastle is either 7th or 8th - certainly behind the Gold Coast but I’m not sure whether it’s ahead of Canberra.

Also, Newcastle’s weather/climate is pretty similar to Sydney’s most of the time - it might be a degree or two warmer up North (and sometimes there’ll be conditions we get here they don’t get there…and visa versa) but by and large, there’s really not that much in it. Then again, if they could include both Brisbane and Gold Coast forecasts…

They probably got a mention during the weather flipper on Today for the same reasons they’re included in the national forecasts on most other channels.

I agree, although you can bet that the previous longtime local management fought hard to keep NBN as local as it was for so long.

Now at least some of them are gone and seem to be replaced by very NEC people like Darius Winterfield (I’d imagine that he’s more passionate about/loyal to the Nine News brand than who he replaced), it’ll be interesting to see what happens over the next year or two.

3 Likes

Execs possibly don’t want to risk it. If it ain’t broke (and it’s making you money)…

NBN has been known for drip-feeding changes, during the hands-off era it took them 9 years to start using network graphics for the news, their network-look set was a hand-me-down from after that look was abandoned by the metros, and the transition from “NBN Television” to “9NBN” to “Channel 9” was made but then partially backpedaled.

I still think that transition from NBN TV to Channel Nine was a little too fast for people, thought they would of gradually changed.

When are NBN expected to move into Honeysuckle?

1 Like

Maybe this Sunday coming?

I haven’t seen the promo in full yet, but I believe it’s voiced by Jane and she says “starts Sunday.”

NBN now seems to be doing reporter supers only when they’re on screen and not at the start of each report.

4 Likes

Glacial ice moves quicker

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any risk.

Southern Cross Television in Tasmania - arguably a stronger, more unique, more independent more different and local brand went to “7” and “7 News” overnight with nothing but praise and seemed to be widely embraced and supported by viewers and advertisers alike

NBN is 90% of the way there. The 9 brand is widely integrated into the station, promos, news look, branding. Flipping the NBN on the news brand to 9 is largely inconsequential at this stage.

4 Likes

First time I’ve seen Jess Worboys do a live cross.

3 Likes

As she tweeted earlier that was her first ever live cross.

6 Likes

Largest TV markets in order of size

1. Melbourne
  2. Sydney
  3. Brisbane - Gold Coast
  4. Perth
  5. Adelaide
  6. Northern Rivers, NSW
  7. Newcastle
  8. Maryborough, QLD (Sunshine Coast)
  9. Canberra
  10. Wollongong
2 Likes

Curious as to how the Gold Coast/Northern Rivers area is aggregated when the NSW has something like 200k there.

Gold Coast’s population is counted in both the Brisbane market and the Northern Rivers market. It’s basically counted twice.

So Brisbane’s 3.4 million includes 600,000 Gold Coast residents and Northern Rivers 1.05 million also includes 600,000 ( I think it may be slightly less actually, maybe 500,000 - as as many postcodes are not included)

If you stripped out the Gold Coast from both markets, Brisbane would still be #3 (although ahead of Perth just a nudge instead of the huge margin it is including Gold Coast ) and the Newcastle market (825,000) would move up a rank to be #6 ahead of Northern Rivers.

I guess the markets should really be called Brisbane - Gold Coast and Northern Rivers - Gold Coast, to show both include Gold Coast post codes.

Northern NSW market - 2.229 m
including sub markets
Northern Rivers - Gold Coast 1.046m
Newcastle .825m
Tamworth - Taree - .357m

3 Likes

What are the next 20 spots?

Largest TV markets ranked

1. Melbourne
  2. Sydney
  3. Brisbane - Gold Coast
  4. Perth
  5. Adelaide
  6. Northern Rivers - Gold Coast
  7. Newcastle
  8. Maryborough, QLD (Sunshine Coast)
  9. Canberra
  10. Western Australia
  11. Wollongong
  12. Orange - Dubbo - Wagga
  13. Ballarat
  14. Tamworth - Taree, NSW
  15. Toowoomba
  16. Hobart
  17. Cairns
  18. Launceston
  19. Gippsland, VIC
  20. Bendigo, VIC
  21. Townsville
4 Likes

When did Melbourne overtake Sydney?

Melbourne overtook Sydney in 2018

3 Likes

I thought Newcastle was a bigger tv market than Adelaide at one stage or did I just imagine that?

Also, those ranking show how over serviced markets like Tasmania and Darwin are with local news compared to the likes of Canberra.

3 Likes

Consolidated Northern NSW is bigger (as it’s essentially #6 + #7 combined), Newcastle on its own isn’t.

5 Likes