NBN News

It would be great to see more collaboration between regional networks as we all know resources are scarce and viewers also win by getting better local news coverage on all bulletins.

3 Likes

Used to be collaborations with Weekend sport with a lot of the regionals. Like WIN would shoot any matches on a Saturday and Prime7 on a Sunday (to air on Monday Night bulletins). Not sure if this still goes on and was everywhere.

2 Likes

Speaking to a mate the other day who said things have progressed well. So maybe mid-September for a full move?

4 Likes

Can they get regional Queensland tv too?

I’m now wondering whether Monday 6th is the first broadcast?

They are doing NBN News Rewind this Sunday night. Going through the NBN archive.

12 Likes

I hope it doesn’t rebrand as 9 NEWS…

1 Like

It won’t.

It will (eventually). It’s only a question of when.

2 Likes

There is nothing to suggest it’ll happen. In fact, there’s going to be more NBN News branding under the new 9 management, according to our NBN insider.

1 Like

In the event of Nine buying WIN Television in southern NSW, ACT, regional Victoria, Tasmania, SA and Queensland will they keep the WIN News brand or extend the NBN News brand to other regions or have 9 news branding?

9News

I agree. With the old NBN management that has left recently, to me it’s pretty clear there’ll soon be major changes (some which will coincide with the move, others to come at a later date) in the way their news service is operated and presented on-air.

2 Likes

The changes on air have already started. Lots more integration, lots more live crosses and the bulletin feels complete and live instead of the crusty old boring bulletin it once was.

Will be interesting to see if we get standing press in the new studio. I know the weather graphics are being overhauled.

3 Likes

NBN’s weather graphics are pretty similar to Nine’s current ones, aren’t they? So I wonder if the changes coming to Northern NSW could eventually be rolled out across the network in some way.

I was going off this.

6 Likes

Any images of the new set?

I’m not sure why people on here are so obsessed with NBN News changing to Nine.

• Everyone knows what NBN News is because they see it when travelling and on Facebook, on the footy etc.
  • It creates a clear and defining line in the sand when watching a bulletin, you know which stories are in the region and which are from Nine by looking at the mic. NBN News means local, it means YOUR area.
  • It allows both stations to continue running on the Central Coast / Gold Coast with no confusion
  • This sounds harsh, but metro journalists have an incredibly polished manner when presenting because there is a lot of money to pay the best of the best, some regional journalists stand out on a Nine Sydney bulletin, the mic flag signifies a regional journalist so they are forgiven (having said that, I much prefer NBN presenters than someone like Georgie Gardener who seems boring).
  • It creates a sense of belonging with the community, it’s local

WHAT SHOULD BE DONE - NBN Means local, if NBN are broadcasting Big Dog, the Anzac Day Dawn service in Newcastle or that midday Saturday show they produced at NBN with the guy with the blonde hair, they should have an NBN watermark… then back to a Nine watermark when taking TCN feed.

Moving back to full NBN Branding? Well economically that is too expensive because all the promos, ids etc have to be edited twice with NBN and Nine branding…

The NBN News branding is as prominent as the Cocacola branding in the Hunter/Northern NSW… don’t change it… it works.

4 Likes

Why can’t Newcastle be added to the Today show weather flipper. Considering it’s the 6th biggest city, a network owned station. Would benefit 650,000+ people in greater Newcastle.

They have Alice springs (25k) Broome (10k) etc

Would ratings drop or revenue be effected if the NBN branding went away? The station is in such a dominant position- I really doubt it

6 Likes

To me, the fact that the vast majority of content is a straight lift from Nine News with a small number of local items doesn’t really differentiate it enough from other network bulletins to justify different branding.

Along with the issue of branding consistency across the schedule.

NBN News’s continued hit and miss coverups of Nine News logos and reporter sign offs is another issue.

3 Likes