MasterChef Australia

I wonder is Samira will mention she’s from Azerbaijan tonight?

Why?

She does every episode. Well I personally think Sashi should have gone but they were probably weighing up overall performance of series now and Christy didnt rank as high.

Kristen?

1 Like

I completely agree that Sashi should have gone based on the challenge. The key component of the dish was the egg… and Sashi stuffed up the egg. There should have been no question about it. At the same time we’ve lost a lot of the good cooks early these season so if Sashi left it would have been a blow to the competition. I just feel he has been set up to win as he’s different to any of our previous winners (and they want another male winner).

What annoyed me about last nights challenge was that the contestants only got one set of ingredients and no back ups. So if they stuffed something up there was no opportunity to fix it e.g. Kristen with the cream and Samira with her guava juice. The fact that Samira followed the recipe, ended up with less juice (possibly because her fruits weren’t as juicy as others?) was a bit unfair. She should have had access to extra fruit to be able to make more if needed.

Seems to me the judges based their decision on flavour rather than texture, that’s why Sashi just survived last night’s elimination.
It has happened in pressure tests in the past that contestants got no back ups and was not able to fix their stuff-ups.
Also I find some of the dishes in last night’s MasterClass too complicated, e.g. Peter Gilmore’s smoked pig jowl. According to the recipe at the MC website, you have to soak the sea cucumber overnight, put it in a vacuum bag and place it in a combi oven at 85C for 12 hours, take it out of the oven, cool down, repeat the oven process and cool down, before putting it in a freezer. That process takes at least 2-3 days. Who has the patience to do that in advance at home?

Yes well giving them limited ingredients is stupid. They should be given backups so they have an opportunity to fix things that they do wrong.

Agree on the Masterclass. George was using liquid nitrogen in one of the dishes which is not something anyone can really replicate at home.

Agreed. Matt’s lamb dish was the only one I thought people would be able to make at home.

1 Like

Chloe is definitely the judges favourite contestant this season

This season of MasterChef may have seen the last snow egg as Quay chef Peter Gilmore has retired it and everything else on the menu. Owner Leon Fink has funded a multi-million dollar refurbishment and Gilmore has created a new menu which will premiere when Quay reopens on Thursday. I’m guessing there will be a new challenge on the next season of MasterChef.

They did say on the show that it would be the last time the snow egg featured because Peter Gilmore won’t be making it again and will be developing an entirely new menu.

3 Likes

Kristen won a trip to London for lunch with Nigella Lawson.

2 Likes

The end caption after Kristen’s elimination did say she travelled to London to meet Nigella. I guess the trip was taken after the grand final in late May, but there was no photos until now.

Former contestant Ben Milbourne is expanding his enterprises again. He has a restaurant opening soon in one of the new buildings in Devonport and this week will also take over the Devonport Uniting Church site which is a fairly prominent building in the city which had been expected to be knocked down but will now just live on in a different form. The final church service is today and settlement this week.

In the past nine seasons, the finals week was shown across a single week. However, this year the finals week will stretch into the following Sunday, so the grand final will be shown on Tuesday, July 31, presumably against the grand final of Australian Ninja Warrior. Does it mean though there will be no reunion of this season’s contestants? We will have to wait and see.
And an update on my post on May 19:

Turns out they were filming a cooking challenge during finals week. That episode will be shown on Wednesday, July 25.

Oh its choose any of the ingredients. my bad, not paying attention lol

Samira was unlucky during the invention test tonight. Her dish had no faults but she was in the bottom 3 alongside Jess and Ben, because Khanh and Reece impressed the judges with their dishes while Chloe used her superpower apron so the judges did not taste her ravioli dish.

Huh? They stopped doing the full finals weeks (where someone goes every night) years ago. For at least 2-3 years they’ve been doing it this way… probably longer. We’ve had many Tues or Wed Grand finals as a result. What they call finals week these days is pretty much just any normal week where we will see a couple of people go home. Then like they have done before I presume Sunday will be a cook to determine grand finalist #1, Monday will be a cook to determine Grand finalist #2. Followed by the finale on Tuesday.

I was annoyed last night with how things panned out. The judges only had positives to say about Samira’s dish but she is up for elimination. I think in some scenarios such as when a contestant uses an immunity pin / advantage the judges should consider only having 2 people go into a pressure test if there isn’t a clear third person in the bottom. There were only 2 bad dishes in that cook last night so I don’t see why it can’t just be those two cooking off. To be honest they raved on about Reece’s dish but I can’t see how technically it was any better than Samira’s (which barely got shown in the editing I reckon to justify the judges decision).

2 Likes

According to an interview with Peter Gilmore in the July issue of Qantas inflight magazine, he invented the snow egg in 2008. So the dessert would be ten years old before it was retired from the menu.

Well Ben is clearly the judges favourite this season. How can someone scrape through so many eliminations? They made out like it was clear cut that Samira had to go but they both had 2 elements that didnt work and at least Samira had them all on the plate. Samira never even deserved to be up for elimination in the first place given the judges only praised her dish on Sunday.

I’m increasingly losing interest in this season. Pretty much everyone that I liked has gone now.

1 Like