KIIS Network

So true. 96fm in the 1980s was no secret to its success. The biggest bands and artists with the slickest sounding DJs who didn’t BS. ARN networked programs stick out like a sore thumb on 96fm. Music isn’t too far off the mark though.

Listening on the weekend, just realized their competition phone number 13 106 5. Is that the same number across the ARN network? April 1st theory here - 106.5fm is vacant in Perth. It fits the 800khz channel spacing pattern in Perth and the ACMA does have an FM restack pending for Perth… Could ARN have another ‘relaunch’ planned for 96?

1 Like

Yep - both KIIS stations plus 97.3 Brisbane and Mix Adelaide now use that number

1 Like
1 Like

Random thought … Why does Duncan Campbell keep referring to Nova937 as, “the KIIS of Perth”?

If that is the case, then why did they make 96FM “a part of the KIIS Network” when it is better off being part of the Pure Gold Network?

… Especially given that ARN owns 50% of Nova937. Why make a brand to compete with it? I’m sure Perth wouldn’t mind too much if K&J’s Hour of Power wasn’t broadcast into WA’s capital …

2 Likes

Exactly. 96 is much better aligned with Pure Gold. But to be honest so is 97.3 and Mix 102.3 in many ways.

If I were them I’d re-brand them as Gold and have a proper Pure Gold network on FM in the 5 major capitals. Put KIIS on DAB only in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

Create a 3rd network called Classic Hits to include 4KQ and Cruise and on DAB in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.

Edge could round out 4 proper national networks on FM in Sydney and DAB everywhere else.

8 Likes

Surprised this hasn’t generated more discussion.

Gary may be ‘over there’ for most of us, but he is a leader in Australian radio where so much of the management types have been forgettable, he is the exception.

ARN have been keen for Gary since before they owned 96, they’ve benefited from him for years via the Nova Perth JV.

There will be many changes at 96 if Gary is in control on his terms. If not, he’ll be out quick.

Do you have to be a grub to work on that show?

1 Like

Clearly.

1 Like

Mason Tucker (previously of Hit100.9 Hobart) has replaced Joel Gelding.

1 Like

Tony Aldridge has jumped to Melbourne as KIIS 1011 CD

KIIS at the Royal Easter Show…

Didn’t get a shot of the KIIS branded “Eye” ride (some sort of ferris wheel) or the showbag, but let me just say, it looked like crap, and the undies were covered in Kyle’s face.

I’d rather have herpes all over my crotch than Kyle’s face.

I did get a shot of their “haunted house”…I thought it was a replica of Kyle’s bedroom.

1 Like

Looks like the same branding & same ride setup they have had for years now.

1 Like

KIIS at the BankWest Stadium community open day. No giveaways, just kick the ball into the hole.

2 Likes

I do like K&J show but it gets too a point where it always comes back to Sex & Disgusting comments about downstairs I swear at least 2-3 times a show. It really pisses me off. Like you can tell the show isn’t what it used to be but since the move from 2Day over to KIIS I’ve notice this and it’s something that I’m sure others are sick of hearing as well as myself.

You could say the same of just about any show’s ‘shtick’ though tbf.

I can’t stand the Kyle and Jackie O show and part of the reason is the sexual nature. But then, I like Kate Tim and Marty, whilst I’m sure others hate it because all they do is put shit on Kate and the callers. Both shows are #1 :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

That does get quite tiring after a while. She does retaliate better these days and often gives as good as she gets leaving Tim and Marty baffled or in shock sometimes. :joy:

1 Like

Kyle’s probably reminiscing about the days when he could get it up. :rofl:

There is a reason why KIIS is not on my presets. I may have a dirty mind, but that’s just for me to amuse myself and a select group with. Not for millions in a city like Sydney, and I don’t particularly think that it should be on the airwaves. There’s a time and place for it and 6-9am is not it.

2 Likes

The first segment of this July 2008 Media Watch episode (which aired a year or so before the now infamous “lie detector” stunt) would suggest that Kyle & Jackie O were pushing the boundaries long before they moved from 2DayFM to KIIS 1065:

I agree with @ElCapitanCranky. Perhaps there’s a time & place for sexual innuendo on the radio, but it’s completely inappropriate during the breakfast timeslot with there being many kids listening on their way to school, etc.

I was a Kyle and Jackie O listener and totally agree that their show has gotten pretty bad but just don’t listen to them if you don’t want to.

To say there are kids in the car etc isn’t the onus on the parents to put it on something else then? Can’t really blame KIIS. They don’t force you to have them on.

I find the Rabbit and Julie Goodwin show quite family friendly or even Smooth FM.

1 Like