HD Broadcasting

Do the SCA-owned Ten stations broadcast 10 Boss in HD?

Yes itā€™s still a HD service, but everything is upscaled SD, so no actual HD content.

3 Likes

Why do the smaller stations bother with HD 7mate/9Gem/10 Boss anymore? Just do all channels in SD (they are anyway) and if they want to launch a true HD simulcast of the main channel then great.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an even better idea: Why not just run the main channels in MPEG2-HD?

With some of these small regional/remote markets being places where Digital TV only started a few years before analogue was switched off (HD set top boxes were starting to become quite cheap around the 2010-12 timeframe from what I remember), surely only a tiny minority of viewers there would have SD-only equipment?

2 Likes

Yep. Always thought that would be a good temporary solution. These areas got digital way later than most of the country. More likely to have HD compatible equipment.

3 Likes

There are still some MPEG 2 receivers around that are SD only.

Itā€™s probably not going to save much spectrum as MPEG 2 HD would need to be 7-8 Mbps.

True, but these are generally for stations that probably wonā€™t launch 4th, 5th or data cast channels for some time and wonā€™t require the full spectrum. Why not just swap (eg) 7 Central and 7mate Central over for now.

1 Like

Probably because they donā€™t have the equipment for 2 HD channels?

AFIAK 7mate Central is just one feed while 7 Central is split in North and South.

1 Like

Found this in my Wikipedia infobox today (username is TapLover):

" My apologies for posting here, I donā€™t think this is the right place but Iā€™m not sure where else to go.

My Topfield SD PVR stopped receiving Seven a few days ago. Scanning with my TV I was amazed to find Seven sending HD on THREE channels, I was under the impression that each broadcaster could have only one HD channel.

Further, 7Mate (73), which is supposed to be 1080i is coming through as 576i. Mate has been SD for many months, probably since the last shake-up.

Possibly itā€™s just a setup error at the Mt Goonaneman transponder but maybe you know more. A couple of years back Win was sending in letterbox mode for months following some other change."

I reckon theyā€™re confusing the MP4 channels as HD. Iā€™m not in a proper Seven area but it seems 7HD or 7Mate (MP4 HD), Racing.com (MP4?) and 7 Food (MP4) would all not be compatible with the Topfield SD PVR.

Is it the Topfield 5000? I saw your handle is TapLover. Surely thereā€™s not them still in use? Mine was the greatest box I ever had apart from the lack of HD but even mine died several years ago after so much use!

2 Likes

7HD is mp4ā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, will edit it. And now that I think about it, all the HD ones are MP4 arenā€™t they? Because they need to be?

1 Like

For some reason 7flix looks quite good on a large plasma. But the other flatscreens (a bedroom tv and LCD) pretty poor.

Mt Goonaneman is 7QLD area - 7Mate is in HD MPGEG2. There is no 7HD.

1 Like

Apparently 7HD is finally launching in Regional QLD from Monday. Anyone else heard anything?
I certainly hope itā€™s true, Seven is the only network to not have the main channel in HD here.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s great news!

Though my guess is that Seven Local News will be upscaled SD. I hope Iā€™m wrong though.

The promo that is now running for 7 Queenslandā€™s switch to HD tomorrow.

Apparently ā€œyou donā€™t have to do anythingā€ :thinking:

10 Likes

Everything in that promo screams dodgy.

7 Likes

Iā€™d think a mention of which LCN to use would help! - Tune to channel 70 (or 60)

8 Likes

Good to have confirmation that Regional Queensland will finally have access to Sevenā€™s main channel in HD from tomorrow - incidentally the 3rd anniversary of Nine HD returning to metro markets!

Even though people should get this by now with the other networks HD channels being transmitted in this format, advising viewers that 7HD will (most likely) be in MPEG4 wouldnā€™t be a bad idea either.

2 Likes