General TV History

1 Like

They also had this What I Like About You jingle that was being played during the Summer non-ratings period 2006-07. Back in 2006, Southern Cross TEN used its own logo for idents. Eight years later, Southern Cross TEN stopped using its own logo for idents and replaced with the TEN branding as of 2015.

National Nine News Perth from 2007:
Weather Graphics:

Closer:

3 Likes

Not the Australian stuff but here’s the world’s shortest closedown sequence for all time ever, #myfriends:

(EDIT: I know that you might don’t know well about Brazilian TV, but which feed was that, #myfriends (@TelevisionAU) ??? (I guess it’s Sao Paulo)

They would closedown for 2 - 3 hours during Saturday and Sunday morning during wee hours. Now it’s filled with repeats/religous stuff.)

1 Like

Yikes…those weather graphics! :confused:

1 Like

The weather graphics were rough for several years to come, it took them a long time to get VizRT. The virtual set from that era was pretty damn horrendous as well.

2 Likes

Although they use VizRT for most graphics, it’s to my understanding that Nine (along with most other Australian TV broadcasters) actually uses Metra’s WeatherScape XT system for presentation of the forecast. :slight_smile:

Despite the upgrades to VizRT around 2009, I think it took Nine Perth & Adelaide becoming network O&O stations for the weather presentation to finally become on-par with the East Coast cities?

Yep, I agree!

2 Likes

From what I remember, there was another version which was used throughout 2005:

Yet another school camp story … I remember watching The Simpsons, etc. on the TV in our room during Year 5 camp, and distinctly remember those summer ‘what I like about you’ promos. That was when Ten was quite distinctly a network which catered to younger audiences, at least during primetime.

5 Likes

For good looking weather graphics you can’t beat the ABC in the 1970s

Why don’t weather presenters have pointers anymore? It’s a big loss.

4 Likes

That seems even more advanced than the stuff they used in the 1980s, which from memory had sliding wooden boards.

I still remember being in my room, pretending to a TV weatherman with cardboard charts and whatnot.

3 Likes

Nine used to have the sliding boards I think and one of the networks had chroma key louvres that would flash green as they rotated,

The ABC weather music is something that stayed with me since childhood.

3 Likes

Lasted until 3 March 1985 when the last stand alone weather bulletin went to air; replaced by The National.

2 Likes

I think the weather music was before my time. The news, sport and weather parts were fully integrated into one bulletin by the time I started having a memory.

My dad being a keen fisherman always watched the ABC weather report because it went into greater detail about tides and water conditions.

I don’t remember much of National Nine News because my dad had a thing against Brian Henderson (who knows why!). All I remember is Brian Bury and his bow ties.

2 Likes

OH&S issue. The way Tim Bailey throws himself around his weather wall he’d likely take out someone’s eye.

That weather music takes me back to Granny’s smoke filled lounge room. We need to start a campaign to have the jaunty weather intro music reinstated.

6 Likes

Lol! I had forgotten ALL about those!

Maybe there is a risk of damage to the green screen or monitor etc if they tap it too hard?

A laser pointer would be more modern.

They also have those controllers in their hands these days too, that’s probably why?

1 Like

“Bring back popple duffle!”

These weather graphics from National Nine News Perth was too outdated and that the set looks horrendous

I thought their Magic Carpet Ride ads were better,

But in general I liked that early to mid 2000s era, where Ten would have very music heavy idents - even other ones like the Beautiful World set worked well, and don’t hate those What I like about you ones.

7 Likes

I really liked most of the idents used by all commercial networks in the early-mid 2000s. I miss the idents in general with the music and network personalities having fun, thankfully 10 have sort of brought that back with their new package. Things like ‘The One To Watch’ idents I miss a lot.

2 Likes

The Turn Me On ident that TEN used during 2012 was bad because the changing colours was very intrusive and I cannot stand their 2d logo they implemented
2 Likes