TV History - Questions

I don’t know about when they were first used, but I don’t think I’ve seen one from Seven, Nine or Ten since about 2004? (Ten were the last to stop using them I think?).

I really hope they make a comeback soon, TV feels a bit bland without them.

4 Likes

Obscure question I know:
I have come across two VHS tapes which according to the label have the Lindy Chamberlain miniseries Through My Eyes on them. I don’t have a working VCR so can’t watch the material on the tapes.
Apparently part 1 aired on Seven on November 23, 2004 but does anyone know when part 2 aired? I have intentions of coverting the tapes and uploading the presenation/news updates to YouTube sometime so the dates would be reference for that.

According to The Age, part two aired the following evening, Wed 24 Nov 2004:

1 Like

Thought it would have been the next day or following week. Thanks!

Hey, is anyone able to help me please with finding out what Simpsons episodes aired at 6:00pm weeknights on Channel Ten back in October and November 1996? There are 21 dates in total. Cannot find anywhere what episodes they were and episodes appear to be aired in a random mix.

October 1996
WED 09-Oct 18:00
MON 14-Oct 18:00
TUE 15-Oct 18:00
WED 16-Oct 18:00
THU 17-Oct 18:00
FRI 18-Oct 18:00
MON 21-Oct 18:00
TUE 22-Oct 18:00
WED 23-Oct 18:00
THU 24-Oct 18:00
MON 28-Oct 18:00
TUE 29-Oct 18:00
WED 30-Oct 18:00
THU 31-Oct 18:00

November 1996
Mon 04-Nov 18:00
WED 06-Nov 18:00
WED 13-Nov 18:00
WED 20-Nov 18:00
FRI 22-Nov 18:00
MON 25-Nov 18:00
WED 27-Nov 18:00

Thanks! This would help me a lot.

1 Like

don’t know where to ask, so I will ask here: what TV news graphics technologies did they (and other stations/network around the world) use before virzt, #myfriends ???

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly, perhaps a good question for someone who worked in the industry while VizRT systems were being introduced.

The Nine Network O&O stations were likely the first major Australian broadcasters to adopt the system around Early 2004. Overseas, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if a broadcaster in Europe was running the system before then.

VizRT is of course just a brand name for graphics generation system… a very good one of course but just one of many that exist.

Before VizRT came along Chyron and Aston were 2 very popular systems that are still around today in one form or another.

Chyron often became the in-house way of referring to lower thirds or supers even when the broadcaster has moved on to another system.

2 Likes

Hi, Got a question to ask

Is the Say Hello promo of the 80’s the most commonly used promo ident pre-aggregation?

It was played in HSV, ADS and TVW-7 as well as TasTV and DDQ-0? Have I missed any?

The “Love You” package was also widely used.

Love You Brisbane - BTQ7
Love You Queensland - Sunshine TV
Love You Darwin - NTD8
Love You Perth - TVW7

SDQ got a separate “Hello Warwick” in addition to DDQ’s “Hello Toowoomba” - though they were essentially the same channel. Comments on that video also mention a version for Dalby.

So I have another question.

I understand BTQ-7 had Love You Brisbane (which is a great jingle and I wish it was used in Melbourne). Why did ATN-7 not take up Love You or the Say Hello Ident?

I think ATN7 were more content with using campaigns from NBC.

…and possibly because Sydney seems to be less community-minded than other markets in general.

Even more recently, there was never a Sydney version (at least one that went to air anyway) of the 2012 “This City” campaign which aired on Seven in other markets and the “:heart:7 SYD” promos were rarely aired earlier this year.

2 Likes

All of this happened in the era before a consolidated network wide look was rolled out… and before there was common ownership.

In effect network stations cooperated on many things; most programming, news, sales etc but were free to do their own thing if they wanted to,

There was a lot more control at the local level to make choices about things like scheduling as well as station branding and imaging.

The answer to the question as to why some campaigns weren’t rolled out in Sydney is probably down to the individual GM and program director and would take into account factors already outlined like community attitudes and expectations.

1 Like

Did each station in 10-4-5a network got some seperate ad breaks, #myfriend ???

DDQ10-5A would have had all the same content, ad breaks, etc. as 5A was a relay transmitter from Channel 10

SDQ4, I’m not sure of.

1 Like

SDQ4 was a 100% full time relay of DDQ. The Southern Downs is too small to warrant its own advertising feed.

2 Likes

Then how the fuck they can insert “Hello Warwick” ???

I never knew television slogans could bring about so much passion!

2 Likes