General TV History

I’d have to disagree, this package was fantastic and probably not much behind the current one in terms of my favourite that they’ve done.

I would even say it’s far better than the outgoing package 10 have just got rid of in favour of the latest incarnation.

Still looks incredibly modern even 6 years later.

3 Likes

I didn’t really like that On-Air Presentation package too much at the time and I think even the network might’ve had their reservations about it, particularly with the logo variant which IIRC was never used across all elements of the network (corporate branding, news, sport, etc.) and was eventually phased out with the royal blue/yellow glossy logo more or less making a full return by mid-year.

1 Like

It’s a real shame they dropped it so abuptly, they were slightly ahead of their time graphics wise going back to a 2D logo. Instead they made themselves look dated and found themselves going back to 3D gloss.

3 Likes

Speaking of logos, was this a real logo used by GMV6?

GMV6_1975-81

Classic sign-offs and DX right here!

5 Likes

Hilarious. And, oh my God, what a good-looking newscast.

2 Likes

National Nine News Perth Weather Updates with Kate Gale from 2005 and 2007:

6 Likes

It’s incredible to look back at old recordings at what once was.

I remember when this was broadcast the forums quickly became very active with speculation that there would be more double header presentations with Mark and Chris. Wish there were!

6 Likes

A Ten Capital news update from 1997, which is hopefully of interest to some people. Still using the theme that was replaced by Ten in 1994! Some other interesting stuff has been uploaded to that channel as well.
Video Credit: ‘kommissartodd06’.

5 Likes

I suppose this leads us to the inevitable question: What year did Ten Capital switch to the 1994 Ten News theme music? 1998? 1999?

1 Like

It was changed to the 1994 theme by October 1999 according to a recording of Ten Capital News that I have from that date.

3 Likes

It was in 1998.

1 Like

Got recordings of this? I can’t remember any double headers.

Those page flip transitions are disgusting.

yes it was, between the introduction of colour TV in 1975 until around 1978 when they (and BTV6) changed to the 6 in a TV screen logo. There was a “COLOR” (spelt that way like most Victorian media in those days) underneath it. Their ident at that time was just a slide of a photo of a scene in the viewing area (eg. a farm scene or the tractor at the John Pick Playground in Shepparton) with that logo printed on the top right hand corner of the slide. Although in 1980-81 GMV6 had a sticker competition in conjunction with Coca Cola, the sticker had the above GMV6 logo, a picture of a boat (the main prize) and the Coca Cola logo.

1 Like

and here is the ad for said competition featuring GMV6’s Tony Kenison

(Youtube clip courtesy of “telerecordings”)
2 Likes

As requested. Seven News Sydney as broadcast on Saturday, 11 August 2012. Presented by Chris Bath and Mark Ferguson.

The archive is quite deep, so many more recordings to come. Happy to take requests, most recordings are July-August 2012.

7 Likes

Like Capital, I preferred the old theme.

Brilliant stuff!
Was never a fan of that presenatation package however, now looks extremely dated.

National Nine News Perth Montage from November 1, 2008:

8 Likes

The graphics on the National Nine News Perth in 2008 looked horrible.

1 Like