General TV History

Interestingly and purely coincidentally the imagery in that 1991 launch borrowed heavily from the CBS campaign of the year before “Get Ready for CBS” although the song was obviously different

2 Likes

Ten had a history of adapting CBS slogans. In 1981 ATV10’s “Looking Good” was taken from CBS. The following year ATV10 took CBS’s “Reach For The Stars”. Not sure if any other Tens took the same slogans though

2 Likes

The relaunch had to be put on hold however, because just one week later, the first Gulf War stated as US and coalition forces invaded Iraq and Ten along with other Australian networks, became a 24 hour news channel. It did mean that the new logo got saturation exposure as it was watermarked across all coverage; something not seen before. By the Eyewitness News had been revived.

But of course, it has to be said that Seven did a contemporary take on a “Get Ready” Launch Promo in 2008 with Human Nature:

This was probably the last time Seven did a really high budget “song & dance” launch promo, except maybe “It’s Time” for 7TWO a year or two later.

2 Likes

Perhaps just a Melbourne thing though 11-8 had Reaching For the Stars but that was to a different theme.

Since we’re discussing different adaptions of American TV campaigns, this may be of interest… SBT Brazil did their own version of Get Ready for CBS…

Some media nerd/enthusiast has put both side by side… it’s worth a look

1 Like

You may need to rewatch it to prove that:

Found this on the hard drive. Worth an upload… Some of the last Eyewitness content for now.

1 Like

With all this talk if you 10Keno,

can we see what this guys doing?

7 Likes

He might well be available… if I remember correctly he was writing a column for Fairfax and was busted for plagiarism on a fairly massive scale… that part of his career came to an end fairly quickly.

1 Like

The very same.

Until, of course, the ABC posted one of his opinion pieces last year

2 Likes

You’d think the commissioning editor would have taken a few moments to google the author’s name. That should have been enough to have the article rejected.

It’s embarrassing for the ABC and is the sort of thing that the corporation should be held accountable for.

1 Like

I happen to own a Channel Nine promo disc given away with TV Week in 2008. This is the disc:

And this is the menu and opening:

As i can recall the episodes opened with a classification screen.

3 Likes

Ten’s Summer Lineup + PRG from January 2006.

3 Likes

The now defunct logo.

On NYE they used the Ten Sport logo for the Midnight fireworks

Prime documentary on Newcastle from 1997:

Some discussion in the Sky News are of a (in)famous incident where it was alleged - in this case by Derryn Hinch - that Mike Willessee was drunk. “I’m Derryn Hink, and I’m sober.”

1 Like

I found a Sydney + Wollongong channel surfing video I put together 10 years ago (June 2008):

Some observations:

• Features several channels that are no longer broadcasting on FTA: Digital 4 Guide, TVS, World News Channel, Digital 44 guide, ABC News/Sport/Weather, Channel NSW, ACC, Expo, 7 VPG, 9 VPG, House of Representatives, Senate
  • Looks like this was during the period of breakaway HD channels (e.g. Ten HD)
  • Some HD channels still showing loops when no native HD programming is on (e.g. SCT HD)
  • I think ABC HD switched to a VPG during late night? (Or was it when there was no native HD programming?)
  • WIN were already doing ugly cover-up opaque watermarks

Note that the recordings were done over the course of the day and not in real-time one channel after another.

8 Likes

Great clip.

By any chance do you have any more screencaps/video (aside from the clip of the LCN-41 “News Sport & Weather From the ABC” that’s already on your channel) of the old D44 Trial services in your collection? If so it’d be great to see some uploads but if not, that’s OK! :slight_smile:

ABC HD switched to the VPG in lieu of local programming because they didn’t have the compacity to do local HD services at the time. Although towards the end, I think the pre-News 24 ABC HD did simulcast local programming from the Sydney feed.

ABC2 was the digital channel which used to run the VPG as an overnight filler.

I enjoyed this What I like About You jingle when it comes to summer programs on TEN.

1 Like