Future of regional affiliate branding

That is correct. We have always been included on capital city weather forecasts.

5 Likes

That is exactly what happens…The map I see on WIN news Victoria only has the weather map from Swan Hill, Balranald to Hopetoun. Mildura doesn’t rate a mention.

2 Likes

Regional Media complaining about these kinds of ventures makes me chuckle - it shows a real level of disconnectedness. Why do they think Council’s are launching more ways to try and communicate with their ratepayers?

7 Likes

That is so poor its laughable so they have decided to give you Bendigo weather untouched. So I guess the whole news is just WIN News Central Victoria untouched into Mildura without any customisation. I’m sure you get sick of the reference to Central Victoria intro to nearly every story it gets to me as I’m in the Mallee.

2 Likes

I had no idea that ENT was so big. I’d known that they’d owned both the Tas TV and I knew there had been some bribery scandal involving Jim Cox which had led to the sudden (?) takeover by WIN in 1994.

ENT Ltd. - Wikipedia
Some big names in this article for Tasmania and quite a range of assets there with TV licenses in Tas, Vic, radio, cinemas, newspapers and Gunns and Holyman shipping. They must have been a reasonable size company.

2 Likes

Not sudden, but after Rouse resigned and his family lost managerial control, they weren’t happy with the direction anymore over the following years and sold their shareholding to WIN, who then lobbed a bid for the remainder of the publicly-listed company. They achieved 90% and the rest is history.

3 Likes

This might provide some more insight

https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/data/UQ_11179/UQ11179_OA.pdf?Expires=1625606131&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJKNBJ4MJBJNC6NLQ&Signature=PYBUBpkcN8tkdMUsJ6lmX5gWFnM8dl~Ycc~0YRiC3c00N086lQCQtJT1upXvWYaZM-YqzyhrPgZ5~oicZsIO4Zd9UHIxgcp9UD0kudjDCIZ039wyaGJdtHp6RpSAl5qpVS7bCU~uPI9pp4w47hFnHEf~u1Balz3jT3URpuGUnngzgA5AQLTbyik3xEidByL1oGoa7Fh9lK5DVmvKFW7CuDTJUNnSOWAFZuNcwgH3okDxSzH6wbCLQJ9cchSn-YUABTEPRKNNevYs7~OM6G3szMIQ04s6JRsHXCN0HXY3FFTi3oiyqbTAZ-FMwkS-Brwov2WZBMWFM8YxAtFfFgjoOg__

2 Likes

They expanded rapidly throughout the 80s. Eventually selling some of them before WIN knocked at the door.

2 Likes

we need a login to access that?

Try this link instead: https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:11179/UQ11179_OA.pdf

3 Likes

Yes it’s pretty disrespectful. Not even treated as an afterthought. The news is very Bendigo-centric.

2 Likes

I doubt very much SCA will get out of the TV business, they are going hard and fast in trying to get the Seven affiliation in NNSW, SNSW and RVIC away from Prime in 2023 and they are not going to stop until they get it!

3 Likes

Who wouldn’t want to be affiliated with 7 (or Nine) instead of 10?

But if they get that affiliation, that doesn’t mean SCA wouldn’t then happily sell those affiliated stations to the network.

It could actually be further evidence of that, given 7WM tried to buy Prime7 last year.

3 Likes

I think they’re more going after an acquisition from Seven rather than an affiliation.

3 Likes

Where will that leave Prime in 2023, then? Besides, I’m surprised SCA didn’t get the NNSW affiliation from WIN when they had the chance

1 Like

With 10.

Didn’t SCA sell their Northern NSW licence to WIN a few years ago? Why would they want it back now?

1 Like

Prime has plenty of money and could be a Ten affiliate, they’d just have to sack most of their news division to ensure the division is sustainable.

PRIME10

1 Like

Yes News and Weather Updates in all markets produced from Canberra and/or Bunbury.

SCA would have to repurchase NRN from WIN to make the full manoeuver.

1 Like

this will be so interesting to watch play out. SCA are desperate to say the least in a deal with 7.