Future of regional affiliate branding

to give them an ounce of credit, though, Southern Cross Broadcasting (as it was then) kept Ten Capital News going for about 5-6 years, amid local news competition from WIN and Prime, and with the metro Ten network already taking a lower profile in news, before finally pulling the plug. They could just have easily have axed it when they took over in 1994/5.

7 Likes

CTC’s biggest problem was being affiliated with Ten instead of Nine or Seven.

Their news service was very good, but it suffered a major blow when they briefly moved from 18:00 to 17:00 match Ten’s timeslot, followed by a slow death.

The only way I see something like that returning is when Nine &/or Seven own their local station instead of having an affiliate.

5 Likes

I am in Mildura and there is no news coming from here. They got rid of the local newsdesk a few years ago. Mildura is not on the weather map when they show the weather and we hardly rate a mention in the forecasts.

9 Likes

But is Mildura airing the statewide WIN bulletin? Or do you guys get Hot Seat from 5-6pm?

5 Likes

The capital city bulletin doesn’t ignore you though. Nine, Seven and ABC news in Melbourne all had Mildura on the weather map last night:

7 Likes

So your getting WIN News from a different region or a seperate edit without local stories Here we still get local weather going up to Swan Hill and Balranald and across to Hopetoun. At least they could do is give you local weather

4 Likes

Clear lead to Prime7 in Canberra/SNSW (as it is for Seven affiliates around Australia), Seven News Sydney is the highest rating show.

3 Likes

I guess we’ll take your word for it :slight_smile: Appreciate the insight.

2 Likes

In NNSW NBN News is way ahead of Seven News, and A Current Affair trounces Home & Away.

4 Likes

This is probably the best thread for it.

From tonight’s Media Watch.

5 Likes

News Corp who have a news operation in Dubbo don’t like council operation.

I guess it’s no surprise that Media Watch failed to mention in that story that News Corp (and Australian Community Media) both have news operations in Dubbo.

2 Likes

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for Dubbo Regional Council News to get a mention on Media Watch, we were talking about it on the forums back in January!

I’d imagine that Prime7 Local News (who’ve faced hurdles when it comes to covering DRC for their Central West bulletin in recent years) aren’t particularly fond of Dubbo Regional Council News either…

2 Likes

TonyCTC, TV-ACT and NQCQTV covered this fairly well already, but personally feel it’s a shame losing the local identity and having what feels like a relay of Sydney.

I don’t feel the loss of SC branding as that was a fairly recent (and godawful) experience, but certainly Capital, Prime, and Win were well known and respected brands.

In terms of local news, the old composite bulletin on Capital is still the best product to come out of the city. WIN had a basic bulletin by comparison but the team (led by Peter Leonard) was rock solid and filled that gap nicely.

I don’t recall much of the local Prime bulletin (always watched Capital), and as noted above Seven News tends to whip the competition at 6.

I don’t believe Canberra can sustain three local commercial bulletins (noting the ABC goes local seven days).

A review of what constitutes “regional” is surely overdue. We have three capital cities falling into that basket, two of which have better local news than the actual capital does.

I’ll keep an eye out for any local ratings, but don’t hold your breath. You can see the weekly combined market reports on the Regional TAM site, but apparently everyone outside the metro markets just watches the commercial news, or Aunty.

15 Likes

I’m pretty sure Media Watch previously mentioned the council ‘news’ and conflict with the News Corp paper ages ago.

Not mentioning it this week may have just been fitting everything into their limited number of minutes, and the subject being addressed was TV news not newspapers, so the News Corp & ACM papers don’t come into it when talking about Prime7, WIN9, and SCA10 cutting local news programming from their regional viewers.

3 Likes

Yes, they did, back in September 2019.

2 Likes

Didn’t Mildura used to get VIC TV which was bought out by WIN? Didn’t Mildura used to receive VIC TV local news in the early 1990s?

2 Likes

From Wikipedia, so take this with a grain of salt.

STV was brought by ENT Ltd. in 1989 and split from the Southern Cross Network shortly afterwards to join the VICTV Television Victoria network, which also encompassed GMV-6 Shepparton and BTV-6 Ballarat and following aggregation, extended its transmission area into Bendigo, Albury and Gippsland. The VIC TV network was sold to WIN Television in 1994

2 Likes

It is accurate though, ENT bought STV from Sunraysia in 1989 and integrated it with its pre-existing VIC TV network, there are multiple presentation/commercials videos from this time on YouTube. WIN then gradually bought ENT across 1994, securing control sometime after aggregation. All effectively consequence of the Rouse (ENT managing director) bribery scandal of 1989.

4 Likes

VIC TV and its successor WIN provided local news to Mildura until it closed the newsroom in 2015.

5 Likes

Mildura airs the Statewide WIN bulletin. Hotseat 4.30-5.30pm.

5 Likes