Future of regional affiliate branding

Last night Seven Network had a network share of 26.3%

Prime7 (and 7QLD) had a network share of 36.3% with the exact same programming

Not sure Seven would want to mess with that - it doesn’t get better than that. A serious revenue stream when your programming rates 40% higher across your affiliate partner

3 Likes

7 Tas rates even higher percentage wise and shows that SCA can do a 7 affiliation very well. They’ve been the dominant station in Tas since aggregation (I think they must have won every year for nearly 30 years) and usually have around 17 or 18 of the top 20 shows, the other ones usually being either 7Two or ABC!

I think the big affiliation war was kicked off back in 2016 when SCA launched the surprise move of securing Nine and from the reports I have a feeling they could also bring the wars to an end whether that’s through acquisition or affiliation with 7WM it sounds like they’re really chasing it and just like they blindsided WIN in 2016 it sounds like things could be shaky for Prime at the moment too.
With Bruce having played a part in the Prime and 7 deal falling through the other year and then disappearing to steal back the deal between WIN and Nine with a potential merger on the horizon I feel sorry for the Prime staff who I think could be the losers out of all the battles the last few years.

dont think Prime 7 victoria would affiliate with 10 lol dont think that gonna work it will be either prime7 or Prime name to get dropped and use 7 branding full time

1 Like

If 7 went with SCA, Prime would either rebrand to Prime10 or just 10.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for PRIME10!

1 Like

The performance improvement is quite often predominately with the multichannels rather then the primary channel - the programming on these channels seems to resonate more with regional viewers

5 Likes

Unfortunate that Tim Bailey won’t be around at 10 to see the days of it pumping out on Prime… We laughed at him at the time but he may have been a prophet!

9 Likes

Amazing how things work out, 7 wanted to merge with prime and look how that went.
Now it looks like prime will lose seven as a partner in two years time in NSWs and Victoria.

1 Like

And what happens to SCA Qld? Do they sell it to prime?

1 Like

Under this theory, it would have to be sold to someone else.

1 Like

Unless 7WM only buys some of SCA (the non-Qld stations), leaving SCA with the rest, which yes I’d imagine they would try to offload.

1 Like

Prime buying STQ and entering the Qld market would make a 10 affiliation not so bad for them.

1 Like

if that happens we’ll have have programs from 10 and also from 7 lol on one channel like the good old days haha

1 Like

PRIME10 is possible if Prime becomes a Ten affiliate. If Prime was merged with Ten Network, it could be rebranded 10 Country or CBN10 (a variation of CBS and it was the name of Orange station in the Central west NSW that initially was part of the Prime Network).

Like previously outlined, this PRIME10 proposal would rely on the Seven Network owners being willing to sell 7 Regional QLD to Prime Media or some other group to clear the way for a full SCA7 affiliation deal.

Possible? yes. Likely not so sure. But then again 5 years ago we thought the only way WIN would become a Nine affiliate again was if Bruce Gordon was gone.

Speaking of WIN, as pointed out, WIN would need to sell the Northern NSW operations to SCA or operate a 7 network affiliate in NNSW. The advantage of the latter would be a dirty feed of 7 programs and not “regional variations”, with now only seem to be additional infomercials (like is broadcast in Newcastle, Canberra and Wollongong on Prime)

SCA7 in NSW, QLD and Victoria is probably a while off yet assuming it is at all a possibility in the future.

2 Likes

It would just be 10.

4 Likes

You’re not the first person to raise this, but I don’t understand why a merged Seven West/SCA would divest itself of STQ (already a Seven affiliate) rather than TNQ.

6 Likes

Probably depends on the assets (e.g.: land).

Sounds to me 7 wants Southern Cross’s tv assets and if so they will work everything out.

2 Likes

I still don’t understand this. PRIME doesn’t operate in QLD at all and they’re not obligated to start doing so or to buy someone else’s television station, in the same way that they’re not obligated to operate is places like Tasmania or the Northern Territory because they don’t own any TV stations there.

Could just be (as it is now) that Seven and Nine have owned and operated stations in NNSW (Nine) and RQLD (Seven) and anyone other players who might own a TV station there will just have to find someone else to buy content from (whoever that may be)

1 Like