Future of regional affiliate branding

This might provide some more insight

https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/data/UQ_11179/UQ11179_OA.pdf?Expires=1625606131&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJKNBJ4MJBJNC6NLQ&Signature=PYBUBpkcN8tkdMUsJ6lmX5gWFnM8dl~Ycc~0YRiC3c00N086lQCQtJT1upXvWYaZM-YqzyhrPgZ5~oicZsIO4Zd9UHIxgcp9UD0kudjDCIZ039wyaGJdtHp6RpSAl5qpVS7bCU~uPI9pp4w47hFnHEf~u1Balz3jT3URpuGUnngzgA5AQLTbyik3xEidByL1oGoa7Fh9lK5DVmvKFW7CuDTJUNnSOWAFZuNcwgH3okDxSzH6wbCLQJ9cchSn-YUABTEPRKNNevYs7~OM6G3szMIQ04s6JRsHXCN0HXY3FFTi3oiyqbTAZ-FMwkS-Brwov2WZBMWFM8YxAtFfFgjoOg__

2 Likes

They expanded rapidly throughout the 80s. Eventually selling some of them before WIN knocked at the door.

2 Likes

we need a login to access that?

Try this link instead: https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:11179/UQ11179_OA.pdf

3 Likes

Yes it’s pretty disrespectful. Not even treated as an afterthought. The news is very Bendigo-centric.

2 Likes

I doubt very much SCA will get out of the TV business, they are going hard and fast in trying to get the Seven affiliation in NNSW, SNSW and RVIC away from Prime in 2023 and they are not going to stop until they get it!

3 Likes

Who wouldn’t want to be affiliated with 7 (or Nine) instead of 10?

But if they get that affiliation, that doesn’t mean SCA wouldn’t then happily sell those affiliated stations to the network.

It could actually be further evidence of that, given 7WM tried to buy Prime7 last year.

3 Likes

I think they’re more going after an acquisition from Seven rather than an affiliation.

3 Likes

Where will that leave Prime in 2023, then? Besides, I’m surprised SCA didn’t get the NNSW affiliation from WIN when they had the chance

1 Like

With 10.

Didn’t SCA sell their Northern NSW licence to WIN a few years ago? Why would they want it back now?

1 Like

Prime has plenty of money and could be a Ten affiliate, they’d just have to sack most of their news division to ensure the division is sustainable.

PRIME10

1 Like

Yes News and Weather Updates in all markets produced from Canberra and/or Bunbury.

SCA would have to repurchase NRN from WIN to make the full manoeuver.

1 Like

this will be so interesting to watch play out. SCA are desperate to say the least in a deal with 7.

Last night Seven Network had a network share of 26.3%

Prime7 (and 7QLD) had a network share of 36.3% with the exact same programming

Not sure Seven would want to mess with that - it doesn’t get better than that. A serious revenue stream when your programming rates 40% higher across your affiliate partner

3 Likes

7 Tas rates even higher percentage wise and shows that SCA can do a 7 affiliation very well. They’ve been the dominant station in Tas since aggregation (I think they must have won every year for nearly 30 years) and usually have around 17 or 18 of the top 20 shows, the other ones usually being either 7Two or ABC!

I think the big affiliation war was kicked off back in 2016 when SCA launched the surprise move of securing Nine and from the reports I have a feeling they could also bring the wars to an end whether that’s through acquisition or affiliation with 7WM it sounds like they’re really chasing it and just like they blindsided WIN in 2016 it sounds like things could be shaky for Prime at the moment too.
With Bruce having played a part in the Prime and 7 deal falling through the other year and then disappearing to steal back the deal between WIN and Nine with a potential merger on the horizon I feel sorry for the Prime staff who I think could be the losers out of all the battles the last few years.

dont think Prime 7 victoria would affiliate with 10 lol dont think that gonna work it will be either prime7 or Prime name to get dropped and use 7 branding full time

1 Like

If 7 went with SCA, Prime would either rebrand to Prime10 or just 10.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for PRIME10!

1 Like

The performance improvement is quite often predominately with the multichannels rather then the primary channel - the programming on these channels seems to resonate more with regional viewers

5 Likes