Fox Footy

Fox will always use the “AFL” mics unless it’s two Vic teams playing each other in a Fox exclusive game

1 Like

Or it’s a part of the broadcast that won’t be on the Seven feed.

I’d say we’ll see it even more once the new deal starts, with Fox dubbing over Seven’s commentary.

I think Fox calling all 9 games makes it more likely we’ll get all 9 games called at the ground.

Each state will have a call team (give there will be one game each round in each state), plus VIC will need three call teams (an A, B and C team).

Perth already has a team ready to go:
*PbP: Adam Papalia, Lachy Reid
*Experts: Matt Pavlich, Xavier Ellis
*Boundary: Will Schofield

Replicate this in Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane and all matches could be done properly. Triple M currently has a lot of talent on the books for local coverage that could be poached…

5 Likes

A lot people finding out for the first time & are not happy on Twitter

2 Likes

I guess I called it. Still pathetic. Just get some commentators in Adelaide (and Sydney and Brisbane) since you’re calling games here every week except 2 in the first 14 rounds.

3 Likes

I really don’t understand Fox Footy and the way the place operates sometimes, last year they flew three of their finest, Jason Dunstall & Nick Dal Santo in from Vic and Matthew Pavlich from WA to do Showdown 51, yet this year they won’t.

I thought I read somewhere it was all not necessarily due to production related budget cuts, but also because of talent demands (location, families, needs, etc)?

RE: AFL mics

I remember Ten doing this a lot, though not sure if because of the same thing (when Fox Sports would take a delayed specially produced by Seven/Ten truncated replay) or whether they just liked to use different mic covers. But they had an old white square “Ten” one, a black “One HD” square one, a black Ten square one and later a black materiel One HD one and then a black material “Ten Sport” one - but throughout this 2007-2011 period they’d also often use a white square generic “AFL” one and a black square “AFL” one. Can’t recall what Seven did, just the old 2003-2012 “7 Sport” one I’m guessing.

1 Like

I think it’s a disgrace that Mark Ricciuto does Crows games. Doing the post-match interviews he was sounding like Peta Credlin talking about the Liberal party (“we” “if we could”).

1 Like

He’s been OK this year, the last three years he hasn’t done a game outside of SA.

I’m assuming that Fox will travel to SA for gather round?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure, but I’d hope so.

1 Like

They said they’d be moving production to Adelaide for Round 5, AFL360 is live at Adelaide Oval on the Tuesday and Wednesday in the lead up to Gather round. I think they unfortunately intend to revive Best on Ground for the weekend as well.

2 Likes

Happy for him to do Port games but not Crows games, certainly not the Showdown. Have him as an expert is fine but as your very biased boundary rider is not right.

The Fox Sports logo doesn’t even fit on the mic cube. The sides of the oval are cut off.

This is going to be an issue while football media is so insular and insistent on being filled by former players.

2 Likes

I wanted to go into sports journalism and broadcasting but this is one of the reasons that turned me away and chose another career instead

4 Likes

Not solely about Fox, also touches on radio.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The Fox Footy commentary teams will cover all the action of every game live and direct from each stadium

Well that’s a lie, they don’t call every game in the round.

Good to see they’re taking so much on the road, but Couch, Bounce etc. sound like they are from the studio still.

1 Like