Fox Footy

AFL360 has been garbage for about 5 years now, and it’s not one of the hosts that’s the problem, it’s the content like you said.

2 Likes
1 Like

Correct - though I think in a way it emphasises how bad it looks that Fox Sports, with a significantly larger budget than the company who did those streams (don’t know the name of the company who produced them) can’t be bothered with on-site commentators for games with more importance than a pre-season hit-out, if the last few years is anything to go by.

I will point out that there are commentators on-site for the Fremantle v Port Adelaide game; Adam Papalia, Matthew Pavlich and Will Schofield are at Fremantle Oval.

2 Likes

They are all based in Wa!!!

1 Like

If they’re hell bent on reducing travel cost, getting locals in Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney as well as Perth (might be good to get a 4th though) would probably be a better way to do it than calling off the tube in Melbourne. Although they might be too proud of the big names they’ve got doing everything to do that.

Hopefully they look into this model when they start calling 9 games a week in a couple years.

3 Likes

Foxtel broadcast schedule for AFL pre-season matches today and tomorrow

TODAY
Fox Footy
4pm AEDT: St Kilda v Essendon (RSEA Park) - game starts at 4.10pm AEDT
6.45pm AEDT: Sydney v Carlton (Blacktown ISP) - game starts at 7.10pm AEDT

Fox Sports 503
7.30pm AEDT: West Coast v Adelaide (Mineral Resources Park) - game starts at 7.40pm AEDT

SATURDAY
Fox Sports 503
12pm AEDT: GWS v Gold Coast (Blacktown ISP) - game starts at 12.10pm AEDT
Replay on Fox Footy at 7pm AEDT

Fox Footy
1pm AEDT: Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne (Ikon Park) - game starts at 1.10pm AEDT
3.45pm AEDT: Melbourne v Richmond (Casey Fields) - game starts at 4.10pm AEDT

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Fox Footy using the Thursday night team in the studio tonight, in addition to the Friday night team who are on location at the MCG, overkill?

3 Likes

I’ve heard it’s only coming back for a few rounds this year

3 Likes

The Triple M boys were ripping into Mark Howard about it, what would the point be of having a show that only features a few times a year? Just throw it in the bin and admit defeat.

1 Like

No defeat to admit. The show was great! It was just expensive to produce (a lot of talent/hosts, live band, big studio space).

I think given the large cheque Fox just wrote to renew the rights, that they’re now cutting costs during the last couple of years of the remaining deal. I suspect Best On Ground may be properly reinvented come 2025 when the new rights deal begins.

Is Fox at the in Adelaide or are they still going to call non vic/nsw games from studio?

Studio

1 Like

How bad is Mark Howard?! How can he be allowed to call AFL games?

Fox Cricket does games on the ground for pregame shows. Fox Footy should do the same thing

No quarter time analysis from Fox Footy tonight. I guess last Thursday was a one off for the season opener?

They certainly did a qtr time analysis with Jones/Dunstall

Some caps of the power outage on Fox Footy

5 Likes

Really leaning into not calling games from the ground and not trying to hide it now - Kelli Underwood is calling the Sydney/Hawthorn game (that’s in Sydney) and appears in the Fox Footy studios at half time

2 Likes