Federal Politics

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s any truth to this, fits his character perfectly

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/sneaky-reason-scott-morrison-may-set-may-21-federal-election-date/news-story/e154ed2a157bbc8224dcc6ffb53bd779

2 Likes

Idk about that one, sounds like something a political enthusiast/ conspiracy theorist came up with from their parents basement. Wouldn’t caretaker days count towards days as PM anyway?

12th?? Is this really a benchmark worth holding the nation at ransom for?

1 Like

This bloke is nuts with his ramps at and unchecked nationalism “I love Australia”. He is dumbing down his language for the uneducated swine who wrap themselves in flags on Australia Day. Ughh this is going to be a long 6 weeks of Morrisons lies.

3 Likes

Scott Morrison this morning confirmed the federal election would be held on May 21.

Clutching the straws much?

He should be working towards another more worthy honour: The WORST prime minister since Federation.

1 Like

Our politicians and their parties need to do a better job talking (and subsequently listening) to the whole electorate - that means “dumbing down” language to reach some parts. The major parties continually raise concern about the rise of minor/micro parties as well as specific politicians without looking introspectively to better understand why it might be occurring.

There are going to be a lot of people who think things are going ok (and in a number of respects thats true) - they’re not necessarily politically astute and making that determination based on local political performance, rather they are judging it based on what we’re seeing around the world. Converting these people is going to be tough.

1 Like

Good grief, now he’s taking credit for Australia’s high vaccination rates. Hopefully Australians do not have as short a memory and ScoMo thinks we do.

2 Likes

Is he so short-sighted that he doesn’t realise the nation’s COVID disaster last year and early this year is the incompetence of his government? Otherwise I’m just going for the more obvious option to say that he’s deluded.

And these are the people that don’t listen to what is being said and cannot critically analyze. There are so many middle class to poorer people who vote against their best interests. They actually do not understand the liberals are not advocating for them to get ahead. These are the people who fell for “their coming to get your franking credits” scare campaign, when the reality is they’ll never ever benefit from such a tax break because they won’t ever own shares.

This says a lot about the way that the parties communicate. That said, it’s fair to say its often easier to communicate the status-quo rather than change.

The Franking Credits “debate” is a good example of both sides not doing a good job of explaining why (it doesn’t help its a somewhat niche, yet complex issue) with the Libs simply not bothering to try, rather jumping to trying to slip the boot in.

1 Like

Have we got any updates on whether the pulling companies have changed their methodology since the last election? Given how inaccurate they were, I wonder if they’re any better this time around.

Yes they have.

What’s everyone’s mood like?

I know logically the odds favour Labor, especially with the polls the way they are, but my gut feeling is that we’re in for an upset Coalition victory. Just watching the speeches today, ScoMo used plain language, made some very direct appeals to voters individually and pushed his management of the economy and pandemic. A lot of it was spin, but I feel it may just be effective enough in the battleground seats in Queensland which Labor need. ScoMo is very cunning in this way - he knows he doesn’t have to tailor his language to “everyone” - rather he just needs to speak to the voters in swing electorates. It’s got me moderately concerned that as the six weeks drags on, more people might actually come back into the LNP fold.

Albo on the other hand was a bit frazzled and couldn’t really communicate clearly during his press conference. If he continues to perform like that, voters might sway back to the Coalition.

Love him or hate him, you have to admit - ScoMo is a very effective communicator.

They have indeed, and it’s important to note pollsters were spot on in their predictions of the South Australian election. Nationally though, we can’t rule out that pollsters are missing swings in key seats. If the swing is uniform 53-47, that’s a Labor government. But we know for instance in Queensland there’s the chance polling companies are missing substantial pockets of Liberal support, just like what happened in 2019.

2 Likes

Simply not - the left do not love our country (evident in the curriculum / media narrative ) and he’s appealing to conservatives.

I have started a thread for predictions for the 2022 Federal Election:

I would not be surprised if this happened. There are a lot of politically unengaged or ignorant who will fall for his vacuous patriotic statements and be oblivious to his last 3 years off f-ups. Plus there are also lots of people whose media consumption consists of News Corp rags/Sky News, Nine talkback radio and A Current Affair and who would see very little actual balanced coverage/reporting and lots of “Is Scott. Is good” messaging.

I don’t think he is but I cringe any time he opens his smirky mouth so maybe I’m not the best judge.

6 Likes
1 Like

Looks like News Corp finally passed primary school and learned how to make pie charts properly this time