Federal Politics

I was surprised with Albo’s reaction to that yesterday and was a bit disappointed. It really looked like he was like a deer in the headlights at the prospect of having to say something off the cuff and seemed quite angry about it.
I know things are all scripted for them all and they have to be careful because everybody is trying to take everything they say and take it out of context but I think it did count against him moreso for the reaction than what the answer would have been. I do wonder what the question was though!

It was interesting though the time I met Bill Shorten on the Super Saturday the other year and he went straight from strategy talk with the candidate there to election talk with us within a sentence he was straight to spruiking the Labor childcare and education policies and stuff for families because I was there with the kids. Then I kind of got scared because of the look of impending death my wife was giving me as the cameras all started whirring around us and then we ended up on his Twitter feed later. Oops.

1 Like

Albo could have used the opportunity to appear open and willing to answer questions. But you can’t forget that it was all a setup by Advance Australia, the party willing to use wild conspiracy theories as campaign material. They certainly don’t appear to have any desire to engage in Q&A and just want to smear. I’m sure the ‘tough question’, if asked, would have been impossible to answer.

But again, there are plenty of ways Albo could have put out that fire without coming across as a leader not willing to engage with people and giving the mainstream media the headline they wanted.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’d wondered which group they were from but I was expecting a pretty… interesting “question” too.

There video circulating of Scott Morrison at a press conference yesterday rubbishing Anthony Albanese for not taking questions. When the interview finishes Scott Morrison walks off and refuses to take questions. He really is the dumbest person ever.

4 Likes

And yet QLD is a staunchly Labor state at state government level for the last 30 years. I wouldn’t count on the Libs holding all those seats in QLD.

i think the libs maxed out the Qld vote last election and i can’t see gaining more. IN Qld i see Longman (3.3%) with Leichardt (4.2%), Dixon (4.6%) and possible Brisbane (4.9%) in play, especially with greens preferences in Brisbane.

The pre-selection issues in NSW also will have an impact, cost of living will be huge and i don’t think the $250 will be a vote winner in the way they want it to be, fuel prices will be a killer for them too - this is a harder one, especially if it hits $2 a litre pre polling day again as this is an in your face one as people see this in coloured lights daily.

as well, there is the dislike of Morrison (even by his own party), and the general its time factor. its very hard to win a 4th term as a political party as people just get sick of them

in summery the path to victory is much narrower for morrison

3 Likes

He’s a jerk and hypocrite. I wouldn’t count on him to run a bar, let alone a national government.

4 Likes

I don’t think they need that many seats in qld and NSWs though.

If greens can take Higgins. And if labor take boothby and Sturt (where they are leading the polls) in SA there is only a few more seats they need to take from the liberals.

Taking those three seats from the coalition already results in a hung parliament.

1 Like

No such thing

Nine/NBN News interviewed the pensioner:

1 Like

83 minutes later

4 Likes

This ad is panned and mocked in some media but is being lauded and praised in the daily Telegraph.

Seven News Melbourne reports this evening that Scott Morrison will call for an election tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

Of course the DT will be lapping it up, but the ad is typical Scott in that it’s very glossy but says nothing. But what’s the deal with the gravelly autotune on his voice. That is not his voice. And the “we saved 40,000” lives?? FFS. For a start, what is that figure based on, and secondly, it was the states that did most of the heavy lifting in that regards. Did he also fail to mention his own flawed response to the fires, floods and pandemic that he mentioned.

Typical marketing tripe.

4 Likes

Ugh the voice, Cree-pee.

Someone needs to cut that with josh frydenbergs comments constantly undermining the response in Melbourne.

4 Likes

it’s just so galling he’s taking all the credit. No credit to the states and public health officials and advisers, no credit to the healthcare workers that are still being hammered relentlessly in treating covid, or for the firies or other emergency services that have had to respond to other disasters like floods and fire. Those workers and volunteers are the things that I love about Australia. Not him and not some imaginary school class in Brisbane that doesn’t exist with its fake ambition. But no, it’s ok, he’ll take the credit. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

going to be interesting getting around CBR given the road closures for the canberra marathon

1 Like