Digital Radio

I find 00s/10s at least get a bit too pop for my liking, they sound out of step with the mix on the main station. I suppose you hope they go to album tracks and rarer songs rather than go far out of the rock zone.

If I’m ever listening to the decades stations I find myself flipping a lot, while I can listen to the main station for long periods without.

I suppose killing Soft Rock for 80s would be the next step?

Assuming they’ll move to doing the lower error correction levels, 6IX do that to my understanding to squeeze in a bit more.

3 Likes

Yes I admit I haven’t listened much to the 00s/10s streams so you’re probably right. I agree on the main station, I can listen to that for long periods. I also think they hit the mark with the 80s though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes that is why I end up listening to either Smooth, 6GT or The Wave rather than iHeartradio 80s (my favorite decade for music). That is because decades format will play different genres, and really we listen to music based on genre and style that fits our mood or preferences, and this cuts across arbitrary decades boundaries. However I do admit that restricting to particular decades (as The Wave does) can get the best of both worlds, a full variety format (from 70s to 00s) has the cross-generation problem (which decade were you in when your music preferences and memories were made, usually from your late teens to early 30s?).

3 Likes

When Triple M 90s launches, perhaps to advertise the station on TV they could recycle this ad:

Youtube: Marc McCreadle

6 Likes

Yeah that’s right, we get Country, Classic Rock and Soft Rock. I wonder if they’ll kill one one of the Hit stations (Buddha, Easy, Oldskool, Urban), and/or drop hit92.9/mix94.5 from 48kbps to 32kbps?

4 Likes

Looks like the website is active: https://www.triplem.com.au/90s

Now Playing is coming up with songs, but no stream seems to be available.

Here’s the logo:
and a link to it on their website: https://myradio-img-prod.scalabs.com.au/api/assets/06b9680c-050d-4598-9ac7-d22f036dda40/

2 Likes

Hmm…so who wants to guess the first song played?

Anything by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, the Fooies, RHCP or Green Day would be a safe bet. Aussie acts like Silverchair or the Screaming Jets too.

Just noticed the ‘Now Playing’ had Dear Enemy- Computer One (great song btw); probably still on the Greatest Hits stream.

4 Likes

Noticed that “Little Fox” is listed on the hit website - the Fox branding seems to be national for it, as it is listed like that even when it lists the other stations as ‘Hit’. Seems to be their own version of Kinderling now that ARN carry that?

Links work but the website doesn’t.

I wonder if this would add or replace the existing SCA DAB stations?

5 Likes

Clearly some tinkering going on - the Fox and Little Fox pages are the only ones that appear to be loading on my end. Looks like Dubbo and Gippsland listings have disappeared too, understandably

2 Likes

Triple M Greatest Hits Digital has now flipped to Triple M 90s.

Icehouse (Flowers) - Can’t Help Myself was the last song on MMM GHD. Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song is the first song on MMM 90s.

First 30 minutes of music on MMM 90s:
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song (1994)
Ben Lee - Cigarettes Will Kill You (1998)
Dinosaur Jr - Feel The Pain (1994)
Blur - Song 2 (1997)
Garbage - #1 Crush (1995)
Soundgarden - Pretty Noose (1996)
Chumbawamba - Tubthumping (1997)
Cracker - Low (1993)
Urge Overkill - Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon (1992)

6 Likes

Nothing really inspiring there. The Dinosaur Jr song wasn’t really a hit in Australia so that’s something I guess.

2 Likes

Scoped audio from the last 30 minutes of Greatest Hits and the first 30 minutes of 90s:

4 Likes

None of these things happened. MMM 90’s launched at 32kbps, all the other stations we already have still exist, and the FM’s are still at 48kbps.

Either they had spare capacity up their sleeve they never used, or they’ve done something with error correction. My radio doesn’t show error correction information unfortunately.

2 Likes

Dunno about the other cities - but “Little Fox” is on the air in Melbourne

The other Triple Ms on 9A were dropped to 32kbps from 40kbps - with Triple M 90s and the other Fox digital stations on 9B at 40kbps.

5 Likes

So is it just a re-branded Kinderling? I see that station is no longer in your list.

1 Like

If you Google “Little Fox” it points to this website which is currently unavailable https://www.hit.com.au/littlefox

… On a side note if 2Day were to launch an 80s pop station they could too could go for a localised brand like “Yes2day” :rofl:

2 Likes

No Little Fox in Sydney.

MMM 90s there too of course.

1 Like

That’s a great positioner. “Melbourne’s #1 Kid Music Station”

Starting to think Fox should be the network brand here.

7 Likes

Kinderling previously used SCA bandwidth before moving over to ARN’s a couple of years ago, but other than that I’m pretty sure the station is independent from either broadcaster ownership/operations wise.

Yeah, I think “Little Fox” might be a Melbourne-only thing.

One wonders if there’s enough demand in the marketplace for three kids stations on DAB+.

3 Likes

Nah, Kinderling is still there, just further down the list, as it’s with all the ARN stations on 9B. So yeah, three Kids stations on Melbourne DAB now.

1 Like