Digital Radio

Has there been any changes to DAB in Melbourne? It’s receivable in Wonthaggi today and usually drops out around Bass.

3 Likes

Possibly due to the phat high pressure system at the moment.

4 Likes

Yes I did, I was in Wollongong on the weekend.
Audio sounded dreadful but received ok in North Wollongong.

4 Likes

The second part of that can be easily overcome

3 Likes

Super Radio Network has Sydney DAB audio issues again.

ZOO has very low audio levels on right channel only (nothing at all on left).

2SM, Fun and Gorilla all OK though.

4 Likes

Random question based on some recent discussions on the 2SM digital stations. I was told once by ACMA in response to a query that any new FM licences that may be allocated in the future don’t necessarily get DAB spectrum with their licence. Does anybody know if that’s true? I guess the likelihood of new commercial licences is pretty slim

2 Likes

Agree that the likelihood of new FM licences in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane is very slim unless existing stations are forced to move, or off FM altogether.

It’s only slightly more likely in Adelaide and Perth where it could still be done, and there 9B hasn’t been allocated yet for DAB (unlike SYD, MEL and BNE).

2 Likes

Well they sold off the “excess” capacity, so other than Brisbane they’d need to launch new multiplexes to carry new stations, as there’s no mechanism to undo those capacity auctions as it was sold permanently.

Without going too far down the rabbit hole, that’s again a strength of DAB from the existing broadcaster perspective, the ability to fairly effectively lock out new competition and use the lack of capacity to entrench their market position.

That said, Perth and Brisbane, the places most likely to get new licences, do have the capacity to add either stations or no reason to not launch a second multiplex. Canberra is out of luck though, but a fifth licence there would be very unlikely anyway.

I would suggest however that a new FM station licensed to a market could take the multiplex operator to the ACCC and claim they are abusing the monopoly by denying them spectrum access they are theoretically entitled to.

6 Likes

It’s actually 9A that hasn’t been allocated in Adelaide & Perth, not 9B.

2 Likes

Triple M will launch its new DAB+ station, Triple M 90s. It will replace Triple M Greatest Hits in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide, and will be included as an additional station option in Perth.

The station will launch on Monday 20th July.

More: https://www.southerncrossaustereo.com.au/media/media-releases/triple-m-celberates-the-nineties-with-triple-m-90s-to-launch-on-dabplus-radio/

4 Likes

Still a long way behind Absolute Radio in the UK…

Absolute Classic Rock
Absolute Radio 60s
Absolute Radio 70s
Absolute Radio 80s
Absolute Radio 90s
Absolute Radio 00s
Absolute Radio 10s
Absolute Radio 20s

7 Likes

Most of those are streaming only, only 80s and 90s are on national DAB, and Classic Rock which is over Freeview only, with occasionally extra stations popping on the local mux, like 00s on London DAB.

I’d much rather Triple Ms genre style approach to the decades one. Absolute make up for trying to keep variety on their decade stations by pushing too broad, though Triple M won’t do that so MMM 90s will have like 50 songs on repeat.

3 Likes

Well, I hope then they have an 80s station on DAB soon too!

But I can imagine both would have a repetitive playlist if it’s just rock from one decade only.

Agree with @Moe too, the current delineation between styles/genres of rock is better.

2 Likes

I would like to see them do a full “variety” station playing everything. That’s why Coles radio is so successful. Play everything from 70’s to current & country.

2 Likes

We already have KISS 90’s. Why do we need Triple M 90’s as well?

https://www.southerncrossaustereo.com.au/media/media-releases/triple-m-celberates-the-nineties-with-triple-m-90s-to-launch-on-dabplus-radio/
is a dead link

I get page not found

3 Likes

Personally I’d rather have the broad Absolute approach than the Triple M 50 songs on repeat :slight_smile: For me the Absolute music selection strikes just the right balance of broad vs true to the genre…

4 Likes

Triple M could do an 80s station that focuses on 80s rock, alternative and a bit of new wave thrown in. Similar to Absolute 80s. It could be nicely differentiated from the iHeart mainstream 80s repetition.

7 Likes

The info is elsewhere:

What does this mean?

3 Likes

That would be a good format, and the rockier side of pop eg. Nik Kershaw …

Hoping the bit rate is higher than the current 40 kbps, but not liking my chances.

6 Likes

There’s a typo in the URL: try this

Triple M Greatest Hits is not available in Perth AIUI, though Triple M 90’s will be. God knows where they’ll get the bits from :laughing:

5 Likes