Did They Really Just Play That?

It’s old enough to be a classic hit ,they have added a few 90s and 00s songs lately

4 Likes

My favourite era for 4BH was late-90s, early-00s when they were soft AC/classic hits, playing mostly older music but some contemporary easy listening. That’s why I love Breeze, they play some new music, probably 5 - 10%, while covering the 60s through to now.

4 Likes

I quite like that 4BH throw in the older 90s or 00s hit, shakes things up a bit and that’s a good thing in my view

6 Likes

as long as they don’t abandon the 60s and most of the 70s as what Gold 104.3 did a decade ago!

1 Like

Yeah I don’t understand why Gold 104.3 would do that. As mentiond stations like The Breeze and BBC Radio 2 think nothing of including current hits with plenty of songs from the 60s and 70s. When Smooth FM first started that’s what they did too, but that’s definitely reduced now.

2 Likes

but at least Gold is strong in the ratings with a handful of 70s and lots of 80s and 90s. Its Adelaide stablemate Cruise 1323 still plays 60s and 70s music.

1 Like

Yes because all stations want to keep the music relevant to what is now or then their target demos (as listeners age and move into older demos).

So whilst Gold has mostly dropped 60s/70s, over the next decade or so they will play less 80s too as by 2030s their target demos will then be listeners who grew up in the 90s etc and will want to listen to music from that era onwards.

Same goes for Hit, Nova etc, by 2030s they will have dropped 90s music by then and only really play 00s onwards as their current listeners age and move into the Gold demos.

3 Likes

This morning 4BH played Matchbox 20 ‘3am’WTF?
All the times I heard this overplayed song on the FM stations while I was still working, I got sick of it👎
Next they’ll be playing Nickelback,these are my least favourite 90s or 00s bands👎

4 Likes

Yes poor song choice for 4BH. There are actually a few other softer Matchbox 20 songs they could have chosen. Overall 4BH is ok but they do drop too many clangers, especially at breakfast.

3 Likes

Yeah happen to have 4BH playing at work cause Hit Toowoomba plays the same shit day in day out, and noted this song and thought it seemed a little outta place on a classics hits station

4 Likes

Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pigeon. Have it on Explosive Hits '73 - according to Wiki reached number 5. But rarely ever heard (by me). It was was on GHR UK today as a request.

5 Likes

Ummm… no words.

1 Like

Really enjoy hearing these very rare hits from the past. So much much new old music out there.

2 Likes

Gold 104.3 playing Daft Punk - Get Lucky. It’s only 10 years old, and not what I’d expect. Have paid little attention to Gold, so that could be part of why hearing that is a shock.

3 Likes

I think that definitely counts as a “did they really just play that”…

Tuning past RSN last night and they were playing Padam Padam by Kylie Minogue. Must have been a bit of a gap between races.

But i am not sure that there’s a big overlap in punters and Kylie fans. Bizarre music choice!

4 Likes

Probably playing it to see if anyone is actually listening.

2 Likes

I was but only because i was doing my occasional scan of the dial and even then i rarely touch RSN but just happened to be doing so last night at that time. I thought maybe it was a breakdown tape or something from the transmitter but that is a very current song, so that didn’t make sense.

But as soon as the song ended it got a back announce and then it was off to the next race

1 Like

Maybe it was because she was in Nayyyy-bours?

4 Likes

quit horsing around.

2 Likes

This goes back to when 3DB had the horse races in the mid-80s (before 3UZ/RSN took over in 1988), as the TAB in Victoria only covered races in that state + Sydney + Adelaide at that time and none of the wall to wall racing coverage we have now, there were large gaps between races. The presenters (John Vertigan and Keith McGowan among others) used to play music to fill these gaps, mostly middle of the road contemporary music from the 60s to the then present.

1 Like