Did They Really Just Play That?

Well, the latest disco beats from Kylie is certainly an interesting choice for a racing station :grin:

3 Likes

Even as late as the mid 90s when at night there was only 3 greyhound meetings and maybe 1 harness racing meeting there would have been time to spin some tunes between races. Can’t do that now with all the international racing to fill the time.

1 Like

Savage Garden “I Want You “ the original version from 1996,not the remake,on 4BH today

2 Likes

Slightly strange (The song is 25+ years old compared to most of their library which plays stuff from 40-60 years ago) but would be even stranger if they played the new remix, would have to be a mistake!

1 Like

Nige on Mix 106.3 gets a bit of liberty after 9 AM. Today’s selection was the most ‘WTF’ I have heard in a long time:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard an Ice Cube song on Australian commercial radio, maybe CADA plays him?

2 Likes

I would expect to hear that song on Hit 104.7 RNB Friday’s not on Mix 106.3.

4 Likes

New FM and the SRN FM network plays that song from time to time

1 Like

A few hours ago (according to RadioApp), Kinderling Kids Party played Echo Beach by Martha and The Muffins, thought that might be slightly strange for the fact it isn’t exactly a kids song by nature imo.

4 Likes

Agree, the lyrics wouldn’t make sense to kids, even to some adults as well!

4 Likes

It’s My Party / Lesley Gore now on Smooth Brisbane. I’m all for more 60s and 70s easy listening on Smooth but WTF with that one. It would be considered daggy on 4BH or Magic!

Then they followed it up with Dancing In The Dark / Springsteen.

I’m not really sure what Smooth is these days. Where is the thoughtfully curated Soft AC playlist I used to love?

6 Likes

It’s taken flight, but I suppose you could catch it on The Breeze.

1 Like

Flight got caught in the Breeze?

2 Likes

Yes Breeze is brilliant, but it’s kind of a combo Soft AC / Classic Hits. Interestingly though it plays more new music than Smooth too. Listening right now at my home office :). The only time I flick to Smooth these days is in the car.

3 Likes

May not be the right thread (mods, feel free to move), but KIIS973 are playing ‘Good As Hell’ by Lizzo, but the version they are playing has replaced the line ‘baby how you feeling’ to ‘KIIS how you feeling’ at both the start and the end, the main choruses have the original lyric.

Similar to the version of ‘Head and Heart’ by Joel Corry which on the NOVA edit replaced one of the original lines (cause i’m frozen in motion and my head tells me to stop) to
“Turn up the feelgood and I don’t want it to stop”

Anybody know any more examples of this?(besides the two I just stated above).

2 Likes

you know you have sold out when you are willing to change lyrics to your song for promotional purposes…

6 Likes

I kinda liked the thing Sia did with the variants of Cheap Thrills though (like this for Capital UK) - when it’s editing a lyric already about radio it’s not quite as bad as trying to wedge a station slogan into a song.

Digging through that to find other versions - most of which don’t work as well - https://www.youtube.com/@FN32DXtra/videos this channel has a bunch of uploads of various songs with this treatment, including a Kiss FM version of Tik Tok, and apparently even Taylor Swift did it.

3 Likes

Awful.

2 Likes

These are nothing compared to changing a WHOLE VERSE in a song just for ZM.

Don’t think they ever play this version anymore, it’s a really strange mix.

2 Likes

Hell, the original mix is only sporadically played. In my experience it used to play a fair bit on 973FM Brisbane as part of the Saturday Night Party Mix.

1 Like

But not exactly a new concept…

4 Likes