Did They Really Just Play That?

Bizarre, unusual or out-of-place songs continuing discussion from “Did They Really Just Play That?”

Around over 5 minutes ago (5:20pm AEDT), I heard 2ST (Nowra & Southern Highlands) play “You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morissette. That’s the type of song that would still get played on its sister station 94.9 Power FM.

Witch queen of new orleans by Redbone Magic 2CH about 1030pm

Macarena by Los del Rio on MIX 92.7 this morning as part of a 1996 play list.

1 Like

Triple M Sydney just played “Teenage Dirtbag” by Wheatus. I don’t know if it’s just me or not, but it doesn’t really seem like a song that Triple M would normally play. I would expect to hear “Teenage Dirtbag” on a flashback segment on a Top-40 hits station like i98fm or 2DayFM, not as a regular song on Triple M.

I wouldn’t be surprised if WS play “Teenage Dirtbag” these days, considering that I heard them play “Come As You Are” by Nirvana on Monday morning.

1 Like

At least it broke up the non-stop block of AC/DC, Oils and Arctic Monkeys.

They’re too very different genres, though; “Teenage Dirtbag” being pop-punk, and “Come as You Are” having that slower rock, grunge style.

The Breeze played Bucks Fizz - Making your mind up this morning. Not sure if it was related to it being a Eurovision 1981 winner perhaps.

“Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick” - Ian Dury & The Blockheads on, of all places, Double J, around 6:30 this morning.

What is going on? Some sort of anniversary? Bucks Fizz again today - this time on 101.1 FM.

it must be Eurovision!

1 Like

Hope so :blush:

Here’s one for the “never thought a commercial station would play that” category:

“Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop Cumma Cumma” by Monte Video & The Cassettes - WSFM, as part of their “80s Lunch” at approx 12:20pm today

And one from last Thursday for the same category, also as part of WS’s “80s Lunch”:

“Baby Don’t Forget My Number” Milli Vanilli

2 Likes

Rebel FM this evening played Angry Anderson’s ‘Bound for Glory’. Memories of Batmobiles at Waverley Park in 1991 meant I simply couldn’t take it seriously (those unfamiliar with the reference may wish to check out the videos or the wiki page )

(The whole song is on Youtube but I don’t want to make any of you sit through that)

I don’t mind that song actually… But then I had fonder memories of seeing Angry perform that song at the ARL (now NRL) Grand Final on telly in either 1990 or '91.

Sometime before 3pm yesterday, Triple M Sydney played “Drive” by The Cars, which seemed to sound out-of-place for a rock station & would’ve been more suited for Smooth. Then again, their positioner these days is “Playing Whatever, Whenever”, which is almost a callback to their “You’ll Never Know What We’ll Play Next” format/positioner of a decade ago.

Sounds very similar to the positioner used by “random radio” formats in the US etc like Jack FM

That’s interesting!

That does imply that musically they have somewhat returned to their 2005 format whereby many 80s pop acts such as Wham! were being played.

I’d be very surprised if they have gone to that extreme this time, but I will certainly give 2MMM a good listen this weekend to find out (should be plenty of opportunities with this rain being forecast!).

That positioner also sounds similar to what WAVE FM Wollongong were using for a while, as well as some American stations, as TV Cynic has stated.

A couple of songs heard on River949 tonight which I’ve put here as they’re not really fit for the ‘Great Songs’ thread but certainly noteworthy:

The Waitresses - I Know What Boys Like
Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me

I can safely say it’s probably been 10+ years since I last heard the latter tune, although I do note the more well-played of Savage Garden’s early stuff (To The Moon and Back, Truly Madly Deeply etc) have been featuring a little more prominently on radio of late. The former however is one of those weird songs you almost never hear anywhere

Heard last week on Rebel FM one morning:

Little Less Conversation - ELVIS PRESLEY vs JUNKIE XL (2002)