COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

I think they have made the right call. Stage 4 for 6 weeks.

Alternatively to leave as is now it would take 6 months for it to get to an acceptable level.

It’s pretty simple, get your groceries if you need them, go for a walk daily and aside from that stay home.

Can’t see how much simpler it can be put!

Fingers crossed this 6 weeks wipes it out to an acceptable level and people bloody take this seriously.

2 Likes

I suppose I personally don’t get the exact timing of the curfew, extended trading of supermarkets for example would have made it easier to have lower numbers of people across the day. Indeed I generally do my weekly shop at around 7-8pm on a Sunday, so am needing to move that forward today - possibly into panic as the curfew time approaches that first day.

As someone who works from home finishing around 6pm, that doesn’t leave much time during the week to do any necessary things before the curfew, and would expect retailers to need to close well before 8 to make sure everyone leaves.

I suppose this will give me insight into living in Perth…

5 Likes

Totally agree, and was puzzled some months ago when Coles and Woolworths temporarily went to 7am - 8pm. In the end it limits people and the risk of people spreading the virus through long queues outside the supermarket doesn’t help.

Lol :joy: bit out of date with this, sure Coles and Woolies still have restrictions to 5pm on weekends but we actually have more 24 hour supermarkets than any other Australian city thanks to the emergence of Spudshed. It’s a bizarre juxtaposition, but the loophole that provides zero trading hour restrictions to businesses that are structured in a certain way was going to get exploited eventually by someone.

1 Like

I’m sorry for not knowing about the 24 hour potatoes in WA. I’ll update future jokes accordingly.

3 Likes

The government has said there will be discretion when the nearest shop is more than 5km from your home.

3 Likes

Don’t think I can get spicier than #spudchat, sorry.

In all seriousness: for every sensible regulation here there’s about three or four question marks. For one, announcing a curfew with as little as 6 hours notice is appalling. I’m expecting VicPol to be full-on at about 8:01pm tonight and, naturally, it’ll be the marginalised who feel the full effect of this. The public housing fiasco showed how poorly the DHHS maintained outreach, no reason that they’ll be any better this time around.

Restricting the distance to which people can exercise makes sense, but the time parameters don’t appear to be backed up by the epidemiology. Neither is the curfew - that dickhead tally might stop growing (and perhaps that’s the entire purpose of it) but all of those cases are currently illegal. No increased powers change that.

Again, I ask: exactly what do Victoria Police need the power to do that they don’t already have? Increasing police powers with four hours notice is incredibly significant, particularly in the current climate. I wish that Andrews et. al. would stop hiding behind “common sense” arguments and show the data that backs their decisions.

I mean, unless they’re making decisions that… aren’t based on the data? Surely not, right?

7 Likes

I live in Mornington. Does this mean i can’t shop at Woolworths (or Safeway as i still call it)?

1 Like

you can still go before 8.00pm?

in the past they’ve expressed some common sense discretion will be applied in the early stages of restrictions, as they did when masks became mandatory.

1 Like

Oh good, common sense would say that’s the case but I hadn’t heard it yet.

Yeah this one is pretty bad - one would hope that at least tonight there is a level of leniency

I dont think is about epidemiology, but more about setting a boundary so people dont take the piss - an hour should give people enough time to get moving and get some outdoors time.

I suspect this is a major driver

Victorians, don’t get truncheoned in the face (if you don’t like the d-word, give this one a wide berth):

3 Likes

This would probably stop any attempts at illegal parties/gatherings, as anyone who’s out of the house is liable to be questioned about what they’re doing (and with fewer people and more cops on the road, the chances of you getting stopped are FAR higher), and there will be no retail outlets which can be used as a legitimate excuse for travel.

3 Likes

State of Disaster to remain in force until 6pm on September 2 - I’m presuming this can be extended if need be similar to what they have done with the State of Emergency to date

I wonder how the Victorian Authorities can enforce the one hour exercise and only having one person from each household leave once a day?

Daniel Andrews acknowledged that they can’t really enforce the one-hour of exercise and hoped that people will follow the rule… although I think we know how that’s worked out in the past. People can’t be trusted which is why we’re in this mess.

6 Likes

We probably should have done this earlier - but no time like the present.

The thread linked below will link to places where you can find/get help if you think you need it - if you’ve got any good links that arent there, shoot me a PM and I’ll get them included

9 Likes

You would hope that we would see a significant impact in 2-3 weeks. If people comply there is no reason we shouldn’t. We should already be seeing the benefit of masks this week but I won’t hold my breathe given how little improvement we’ve had so far.

Surely any employer would be lenient/understanding enough for you to go for exercise or groceries at some point during the day or finish earlier / work later if it’s your only choice. Maybe use your lunch for that.

I get the questioning over why there’s an 8pm-5am curfew but I can almost guarantee night is when a lot of people are breaching rules under dakrkness and where some of these “mystery community transmission” are coming from. The fact that even being outdoors these hours is wrong would deter most.

4 Likes

All states have demonstrated that they are capable of coming together as seen during bushfires and the first Covid wave.
QLD has never been tested in the way Vic is at the moment. They are the state that elects Pauline Hanson, bob katter and Peter Dutton I think they are the state most susceptible to fall victim to an American style personal liberties movement if they were faced with a second wave.

The curfew will affect people who do late shifts the most. They will need to arrive at their workplace earlier and cannot leave until after 5am.

That is 100% incorrect. Stop spreading lies.

14 Likes

Didn’t they say work is allowed during the curfew?

2 Likes

8pm-5am

1. BE AT WORK
  2. TO AND FROM WORK
  3. GIVE CARE

Woolworths/Coles will be closed by 730pm most likely. The staff can stay until 3am and do nightfill.

5 Likes