COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

Is there evidence that there are more contractions after 8pm? I’m confused why they’ve chosen that time.

Seriously? Other than late night supermarket shopping, what else could you legitimately do after 8pm at night under the stage 3 restrictions anyway?

The supermarkets will be less crowded with only one member of the household allowed to shop.

2 Likes

And that’s a reasonable rule. The curfew, and the increased police powers required to enforce it, is incredibly unnecessary.

1 Like

At least they were right about the suspension of The Night Network (overnight trains, trams and buses on early Saturday and Sunday mornings).

After 8pm, trains run at every 30 minutes, trams run at every 15 minutes or less while buses run hourly. I guess the timeslot was chosen because smaller number of people travel between 8pm and last service.

The likes of Kmart and Myer etc I cant see any reason to remain open

For the moment, ‘Stage 4’ restrictions will be in place for six weeks and is due to expire on Sunday, 13th September

1 Like

and regional stage 3 restricitons will expire on the same day

1 Like

I’m sick of them dribbling announcements across different days. This will create a lot of uncertainty for a lot of workforces. Although it’s pretty obvious retail will have to shut given you should only leave for food/medicine within 5km. Even if they can stay open it wouldn’t be worth their while.

I am glad that they are starting these initial changes from midnight tonight though. The faster we do this the faster we get on top of it and get it done with.

The reasoning is probably that more people break rules at night under the cover of darkness. I reckon a lot of the “mystery” cases of community transmission are probably people breaking rules then not admitting to it. Also with partner visits they would occur less frequently of can only happen during the day.

1 Like

It’s when rules are broken, parties etc. Good idea imo, just stay home and we’ll get through this quicker. Also the police need much more power to make sure people are doing the right thing.

2 Likes

Starting from 6pm tonight actually not 12!

This reminds me of The Simpsons episode in which Chief Wiggum places a curfew on the kids.

3 Likes

More detailed breakdown of stage 4. No mention of public transport changes though (apart from suspension of The Night Network on weekends), I assume more announcements will be made tomorrow.

EeY9zT5U0AAWSdr

EeY9485UMAA47G4

EeY991pUcAE5jGy

1 Like

What power do the police need that they don’t already have?

Something needed to change, I agree. This isn’t it.

Where does Mornington and Frankston fit into this?

Mornington and Frankston are considered part of metropolitan Melbourne so will go into stage 4 at 6pm tonight.

2 Likes

Don’t think it has in Queensland. We’re very much a state used to banding together in times of crisis, whether it be cyclone, flood, drought or pandemic.

It’s common in the US for local governments to place a nighttime curfew on children to prevent anti-social behaviour.

3 Likes

COVID-19 infamously loves nighttime.

Bold, but impressive leadership from Dan Andrews.

6 Likes

The 5km limit for shopping will require a bit of flexibility in some areas. Nilumbik, Yarra Ranges and Mornington Peninsula come to mind where you’d need to travel further than that to shop.

1 Like

Look, if you’re a Victorian and you have some spicy views on it, we can allow it for the rest of the day as long as you dont take the piss or abuse anyone :wink:

The alternate to this is that you bombard people with information that takes a lot of time and effort for everyone to digest - granted, neither are particularly great options.

I hope thats the case, can’t say the same for what I’ve seen in person / online / in the media across NSW and Victoria

2 Likes