COVID-19: Melbourne/Greater Victoria Re-Opens

I respect your right to your views but please there is enough conspiracy theorists on social media without having any on MediaSpy!

Maybe you are in an age group that feels reasonably safe from this pandemic but I am not. I went to a doctor’s appoinment on Friday night, first time out of the house in 17 days. I’ve survived that isolation and will survive this. Don’t know about the virus though? I had a part of a lung removed 11/2 years ago (due to cancer) and I really fear this latest outbreak.

I understand some may feel these changes have been brought in very quickly but the Covidiots need to understand how serious this is and pull their f**king heads in and just STAY HOME!

Police need to arrest those who carry on like the Bunnings person etc. No fines, if they do the wrong thing arrest them!

I have complete faith in our Premier and medical and scientific personnel that this will work.

1 Like

This is incorrect - you are allowed out if its for the purpose of travelling to/from work.

From hereon-in, anyone spreading incorrect information may find themselves on a posting holiday

20 Likes

I like the curfew. That was a big part of the success in Northern Europe and Asia’s responses.

3 Likes

Mate, I’ve left the house a handful of times since March. My partner lives outside of metro Melbourne and is chronically ill, I’ve got relatives in aged care. Don’t know how you got that impression from my posts, but I’m not trying to argue the virus isn’t real.

I question the data because I’m not convinced that some of the decisions being made today will actually help. The lack of transparency from the Premier and the DHHS has been incredibly concerning, and I suspect that’s because they don’t quite have a grasp on just how bad the community transmission has gotten. Hence, I suspect, a curfew and an increased ‘boots on the ground’ focus.

I’m cynical that it will do anything to slow the spread, and hopefully tomorrow’s announcements will put my concerns at ease. Stress and insecurity is the last thing any of us need.

3 Likes

Sure - I’m sure my employer would be lenient - but I’m confident there’s enough crap ones out there to mean there might be crushes in those last few hours of the day before the curfew. Even 9 or 10 pm probably would have helped just smooth that out.

I get the justification - just I worry about the unintended side effects of condensing shopping hours down when trying to achieve distancing.

2 Likes

What if their shift finishes before 5am?

Work is allowed during the curfew.

2 Likes

You didn’t read what I said. Work IS permitted during the curfew and workers are allowed to get to and back home from work during the curfew.

3 Likes

From the Victorian Government:

For Melbourne, new restrictions will take effect from 6pm today (Sunday 2 August). A curfew will be in place from 8pm this evening. Curfews will be in operation from 8pm to 5am every evening . People are only allowed to leave their house for work and essential health, care or safety reasons.

2 Likes

they return home at the end of their shift and continue to follow all relevant restrictions until they need to work/shop/exercise again.

This is not all that difficult

18 Likes

OK I get it now. From now on I will be careful on what I post here.

1 Like

Woolworths are opening 7am-730pm

4 Likes

Coles has announced its Melbourne stores will now close at 7.45pm each night, with last entry at 7.30pm.
Coles Express will continue to trade its regular hours.

3 Likes

Spot on. Have seen it a few times now. People hanging out at carparks getting “food”.
Oddly in one shop, it was closed but had two people doing a boxing workout.

I’m not surprised my postcode (3021) is the third highest in terms of cases in the state.

Glad everyone was able to help clear that up for you, if you have any other questions just ask :slight_smile:.

1 person only will significantly reduce the amount of people out, and will create faster shoppers. (Based on my experience with my Mrs, lol!)

My households shopping outings, in terms of feet in stores has been reduced by 50% immediately and this will be the case for many many more.

It’s a bit sad really, as that had become the only time my partner and I were able to leave the house together outside of walking the dog.

State of disaster - at least the terminology fits the situation.

3 Likes

Don’t shoot me for asking. But what about single mothers? Are they are allowed to take their kids to the shops?

Is this going to be Murdoch, The Australian and Sky News take on this?

Weren’t Sky News calling for Stage 4?

Dan said in the presser that exemptions in those situations will of course be made.

3 Likes

What a dangerous thing to tweet

3 Likes

It’s because of people like him we have to go through these lockdowns.
I don’t mind the lockdowns and restrictions but it’s so unbelievable there could be enough selfish people out there to ruin it for everybody else.

1 Like