COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

Are we expecting the Tennis to continue?

Iā€™d say just no crowds

1 Like

I was about to ask that. If it does, there may some sort of bubble arrangement for players and officials and no spectators permitted.

if a lockdown does happen I would expect it to continue without crowds

1 Like

I think the Tennis Open will continue with no crowds.

2 Likes

Itā€™ll be the same with Horse Racing. Will still go ahead but with no crowds. Similar to how it operated during the Stage 3/4 Lockdown last year.

The inaugural NBL Cup could be in jeopardy though. All nine teams are supposed to be in Melbourne to play in a hub from next Saturday, February 20.

Good. Move it to Sydney.

Or just cancel it, itā€™s just an pointless trophy as the season just keeps going.

1 Like

Daniel Andrews to speak at 1pm

How will AO organisers manage crowds this afternoon? Say if a menā€™s singles match starts at 3pm and is expected to finish after 6pm, will the crowd be allowed to stay, or will the match be paused before 6pm to get the fans out of the stadium?

1 Like

Because that worked so well early in the pandemic?
Those ā€˜ringfencedā€™ suburbs were no such thing. It was a fine idea to try once, but it failed on the ground.

Northern Beaches naturally has restricted entry/exit (few points to enter/leave the area), and even then the cases spread all over Sydney.

And letā€™s stop talking about confidence. Not everything should be optics/politics. If the tracers have a surge of contacts to get through, giving them the time may well save lives.

Weā€™re speculating here (both about how big a surge of contacts need to be traced but also what the most appropriate response should be), so although nobody wants a lockdown, I think we shouldnā€™t assume their decisions are wrong just because we donā€™t like the result. We donā€™t have all the behind the scenes details.

4 Likes

I suspect that for a week or two, Melbourne would return to August restrictions. Just my bet.
Especially with B117 (Kent) being the circulating strain.

10 News Melb reporting 5 day lockdown.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: COVID-19: Melbourne Lockdown

This affects hundreds of people who passed through the terminal in that time. That includes people who work there and travellers who flew with Virgin and Jetstar to and from interstate.

1 Like

Itā€™s almost like travelling, or working in an airport during a global pandemic comes with increased risk.

1 Like

Daniel Andrews is saying he wants to start the conversation about a new, smaller hotel quarantine program restricted to compassionate grounds only. i like it.

If ScoMo wants to persevere with his goal of a large program that gets everyone home for any reason, then he should start doing his job and do it himself.

1 Like

Surely this will be enough of a kick up the butt to get the feds finally doing something about it. I just donā€™t see the states cooperating for much longer at this stage.

It sounds like because of the B.1.1.7 (UK) strainā€™s faster transmission, quarantine needs to move to proper facilities instead of hotels, and the people (guards, cleaners, etc.) need to be in full PPE (not just a mask).

The federal government need to get off their arses and make it happen, but of course quarantine still needs to be close (not too far) from major hospitals, and airports.

I agree as long as the federal government gets an idea to bring in the rest. There are plenty of locations around Australia they can use that are safer. It does just sound like Victoria said they were out of the current hotel quarantine system and this weekend is likely the last time they will partake in the way itā€™s done in the current form.