COVID-19: Discussion of Impact šŸ˜·

Thatā€™s the problem with every report.

Thatā€™s where the justification comes in. If we just lock down over fear despite having linked cases in workers and spouses that should be isolating, then itā€™s going to go against everything the Vic Govt has boasted confidence about in their own contract tracing and isolation of contacts and secondary contacts.

There could be a middle ground here. Some further restrictions for a few days but not a complete lockdown. Who knows.

2 Likes

Neils source is probably inside Spring st so Iā€™d say it has at least some form of legs.

They definitely would have plans drawn up for a lockdown but so did perth before they had the lockdown as did brisbane. They plan for worst case scenario

5 Likes

Yes however I think the UK strain etc had changed that sort of thinking.

UK strain=Panic=Shutdown

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to read into Neil Mitchellā€™s comments at all. After all he has been very critical of the Victorian Government throughout this pandemic. The same can be said about News Corp. They just like to spread fear in the community.

I will wait until thereā€™s a press conference to hear it from the horses mouth if there is indeed a lockdown or not and if/what restrictions are enforced.

3 Likes

Small hints from the PM at this presser right now. Most certainly something in the works to be announced.

Scomo said heā€™s only had texts with Dan Andrews yesterday, hasnā€™t spoken to him today. He also said he isnā€™t going to provide commentary on speculation.

ScoMo says over 230,000 returned travellers have been thru the hotel quarantine system. that sounds like a good number and very under-reported. Should give a different perspective on the 36,000 perennially stranded aussies.

Surely 12 months into this, there can be a national consensus that there is no role for middle-ground, half-arsed measures.

Also a lot of these 36,000 are also people who have only more recently had a desire to return home as well. Itā€™s not like most of them have been waiting a year which is a common misconception.

Vic Cabinet to meet in the next half an hour.

As with the other short snap lockdowns, if there is one, it may be to give contract tracers some time to catch up (follow through on all the contactsā€™ contacts). Falling behind is when things can spiral out of control.

A few days of lockdown now should be preferable to weeks/months later.

1 Like

No, no, no, no - any lockdown with that excuse is a clear lack of confidence in their ability to control this. NSW have very very clearly demonstrated they can get on top of things without spiralling out of control and VIC is ā€œgold standardā€ too apparently - it is anything but if we go back into lockdown with this excuse.

1 Like

Usually fronts the media 1 hour post Cabinet.

I agree with Ryaneco. If there has to be a lockdown in Melbourne it needs to be pinpointed and restricted to a particular region. We know so far that a majority of exposure sites are in Melbourneā€™s north western suburbs plus Sunbury.
Remember how the NSW Government dealt with the Northern Beaches outbreak?

1 Like

I am all for them doing whatever they need to do to contain the outbreak. As I said earlier I would rather than just do it quickly and not wait though.

3 Likes

Number reported this morning is 252,977.

I dont think I have ever heard victoria make this brag, they have never ruled out a multi pronged approach should more cases arise. After the Blackrock cluster they have shown that they make measured, common sense decisions and only lock down if they have to. Thatā€™s unlike other states that blind themselves to any finer detail and go into lockdown after one case.

i dont think NSW has demonstrated anything of the sort. People always talk as if NSW strategy is solely reliant on contact tracing, has everyone forgotten that quarter million people in Northern Beaches were in lockdown for a month to get that cluster under control?

2 Likes

looks the Brunetti cafe exposure at the Melbourne airport had a massive role in the public health teams thinking and for concern