COVID-19: Discussion of Impact 😷

1 Like

Around 9:05pm, a semi-long News Update presented by Tim McMillian which covered the Perth COVID-19 Lockdown and Bushfires, also briefly touched on the positive test in Melbourne such as new restrictions, but didn’t play the Press Conference in full.

And now we are seeing the ramifications for the Australian open.

I disagree. It’s one case. How is this case any different to say a return traveller passing the virus onto a quarantine worker, like we’ve seen in NSW, SA, QLD and WA in recent time? It’s like saying we’ve seen the ramifications of return travellers.

Again, seems to be an outrage because it’s a Victorian thing.

4 Likes

It’s also mostly the same people who want to make this an Australian Open issue that have also been calling to increase the caps on returning travellers. The same risk is going to always be there. It’s happened in the 5 big states & NZ now in the past 3 months so clearly bigger than an AO issue.

Plus let’s not blow this out of proportion. It’s 1 case and based on his movements and negative test on the 29th there should only be a very small window for this to have gone any further. Plus most sites he attended were shops/supermarkets (where masks are worn and appeared to be effective the last outbreak) or mostly outdoor golfing ranges.

3 Likes

It is the ramifications for having the Australian open though there is 1 case and new restrictions because of someone who worked with the Australian open.

Whether you mind the ramifications or not is a different story and opinion. I am neutral on whether I mind at the moment.

Personally I think HQ workers getting covid is a non news. It has always happened and will continue to happen until they are vaccinated and even then there will be a risk.

You need to stop thinking people are anti Victoria. Most of the country think they are the gold standard. Me included. The same comment would be made if it were a cricket player getting the virus. And I would much prefer these restrictions than that of brisbane or perth

1 Like

Victoria’s latest numbers -

https://twitter.com/vicgovdh/status/1357079690222125057?s=21

The same can be said about the return traveller hotel quarantine system. There were ramifications in other states recently.

If last nights case was from a return traveller hotel, I feel the same restrictions would’ve been reinstated regardless.

Have you not seen the way the media have acted towards Victoria this whole time? Every little thing that has happened has been scrutinised. Undermining the Government, health advice etc at every step of the way, especially NewsCorp. People believe the shit they sprout. It’s beyond to joke.

3 Likes

I actually think the tune has changed on Vic recently, especially with how well they managed the Black Rock cluster. If anything there has been a lot of scrutiny lately over QLD/WA for not having the confidence to manage an outbreak and locking down over 1 case.

Does anyone know what time the reporting period goes too in Vic? Dan mentioned last night that a number of close contacts were tested yesterday evening and they should have an update on those this morning.

1 Like

Of course it would have but the fact is it wasn’t a quarantine worker and was an Australian open worker. As I said I personally am not upset with the restrictions but this is the consequences for the case from the Australian open.

Like this? :crazy_face:

1 Like

In regards to the restrictions, the only thing that some people would find frustrating is how quickly they bounce back and forward. We only just lifted the indoor mask rule a couple of weeks ago and now it’s back again. They only just announced increasing workplaces to 75% and now it’s back to 50% again. This will probably keep happening so I just say keep the requirement for masks indoors for the foreseeable future and keep workplace caps at 50%. That way it’s not confusing to people and is less disruptive to business. These two rules are nothing to what we endured last year and business can then plan to work with that capacity that can more realistically be sustained.

Oh dear.

2 Likes

Yeah but at least we know if there are cases what restrictions will be put back in place. At least it is consistent. I would say if there is 14 days of no community transmission the restrictions will again be eased.

If I remember right they paused the plan of 50% back in the Black Rock cluster as well. I would think if it gets to 75% it will stay at 75% unless there is a significant outbreak.

3 Likes

Dan Andrews to speak again at around 9.30am.

The rule is kinda dumb though. For example, the gym… I need to wear it walking into the gym but as soon as I start exercising it goes off… you’re around others exercising breathing heavily then you out your mask in when your finished… who does that protect really? If you’re all in the gym with aerosols spreading around the mask is going to do sweet FA.

I’m not anti-mask in any sense but I just think a more sensible approach would ensure higher compliance.

There are a few more exposure sites added the list this morning, which makes me think another close contact might have tested positive. That or they’ve just listed some more places the case attended.

Close contacts have tested negative -

https://twitter.com/simolove/status/1357097117324480513?s=21

19 of the 20 close contacts have been contacted.

6 Likes

I agree. I don’t get why people are getting so up in the air about this. Our state government is bloody good at getting on top of outbreaks now. It’s one case, no different to return travellers as you mentioned.

2 Likes

I don’t think the media help. I don’t think overall the general public are in chaos mode, most people in my workplace this morning touched on it but nobody on edge as such. It’s a way of life, it’s the new normal. It’s in the back of people’s minds, however i don’t think people are losing sleep over this.

Today show this morning. VICTORIA ON EDGE. Really?

8 Likes

He’s not an AO worker or contractor, he’s employed by the government. Just happened to be working at one of the AO hotels.

2 Likes

Very over the top here.

Most of Victoria (and Melbourne) understand the situation. I think this is evident, by not seeing Victorians frantically going out buying toilet paper etc, unlike other states.

7 Likes