Random Thread

I imagine it’s because the handle can be wiped down, but that doesn’t work so well on the foam part.

2 Likes

Got bored, did this:

5 Likes

And that is.?..

1 Like

Would never have got that … I’m terrible at guessing with old photos.

1 Like

Ivan Milat?

Hopefully in front of a Dan Murphy’s and telling people to get on the beers. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

From about 1975 to 1985 Bill Caralis owned a liquor store in Marrickville. Unfortunately in late 1976 he was fined for selling sparkling white wine disguised as champagne.

Source: The Canberra Times, 7 Dec 1976. NLA Trove.

I didn’t know that liquor stores bottled their own wine. The Caralis store did.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald, 7 Feb 1975.

3 Likes

Why does that not surprise me. Also, why only females for the job of bottling wines? :thinking:

Caralis Wines in Marrickville is now a Liquorland. Next door to the local knock shop. :rofl:

And no, when I was in the inner west, I never frequented either.

3 Likes

Short video from the National Archives of Australia about life with rotary dial telephones!

Back in the day ours was one of those green rotary dial phones. Weighed a ton and so conveniently placed right in the middle of the house so you had nowhere to hide, everyone at home could hear you

7 Likes

We didn’t even have a phone in the house until I was a couple of years into school. Earliest memories are of sitting on a brick wall at the “little shops” down the road while my mother made calls in a phone booth. If someone wanted to contact the family in an emergency they had to ring a neighbour or send a telegram.

Bone coloured rotary phone took pride of place near the front door off the lounge room on its own special table when we finally got connected. Used to be fun to see how fast you could dial a number on those things. Even when we moved to a new house the phone lines were in communal areas. My sister ended up buying a phone extension lead so she could take the fancy push button phone into her room and it pretty much stayed there after that.

4 Likes

I still find it hard to comprehend that my parents didn’t have the phone connected when they were renting a flat before I came along. There was a pay phone down the road so they could make calls but they were essentially not contactable. With everyone being so contactable nowadays it is strange to think that it was not a given even as recently as the 1970s. And this wasn’t in a fringe area or anywhere with a lack of phone lines. They just never bothered to get it.

3 Likes

I grew up later than you guys, but my parents were so disinterested, we didn’t have a home phone for about a year in 2000 or 2001. They finally got it connected after living in the place over a year. I had to push to get them to get internet years later too.

1 Like

In the 1960s we had a party line with a woman a few doors up the road. I was too young to now remember much about it except that it was a massive inconvenience. This was in Sydney’s inner west, so there should have been enough capacity I would have thought. The other woman eventually got her own number sometime in the late 1960s.

1 Like

I’d love to be able to leave work at the end of the day and not be contactable.

My father was a tight arse when it came to spending money on things he wasn’t interested in. Funny he always had money to have a punt on the weekend. Mum had to go without and save the money out of housekeeping over a couple of years to afford the connection and even then he resisted until a medical emergency involving one of my sisters.

3 Likes

We also didn’t have a phone. It think it was more a matter of finances with phones considered a luxury. Our neighbour, who we considered rich, had one. We also managed to get along without a car until I was in high school. The neighours had two cars!

2 Likes

I remember growing up with the rotary phones and being upset when we inevitably upgraded to the touchfone in the mid-90s. Old telephones have always fascinated me, and the good examples now cost a few hundred dollars online.

After years of searching, I bought a few vintage telephone directories off eBay recently. The oldest one I have is from 1973, where many of the phone numbers were still “Sofala 4” or “Lithgow 300”.

2 Likes

when my mum was growing up in the 1950s they had a phone installed at their house as my grandfather ran a business and needed a phone, but they were about the only house in their street to have a phone on so they’d have neighbours coming to use it!

… when we moved to Hervey Bay in 1979 there was no phone service in our area of Urangan and no likelihood of any being installed for several years … my boss at SEQ got on to Telecom and said it was essential that I be contactable so they checked it out and discovered that the house we had bought was right next door to the local policeman and they had run a special line for him … so they extended the line across the fence and we got one too … boy were the neighbours pissed :frowning_face:

1 Like

… when we started Prime Television, I was issued with a mobile phone … it was one of those portable brick things that sat on the car floor with a cabled handset … I used to travel to all the stations in the group and in those days the Telecom mobile coverage in the bush was pretty sparse … the result was that, on the way to Wagga, the signal would cut out before Gundagai and there was a terrific pie shop on the highway where I would stop for lunch sure in the knowledge that nobody could contact me for a while … bliss :rofl:

4 Likes

This doesn’t really fit in anywhere else, but I’ve noticed a lot of complaints about the Superbowl halftime show where The Weeknd’s vocals are very soft.

I watched the original broadcast. It sounded perfectly fine. You can see in some other unofficial uploads on Youtube that they sounds fine, too.

It looks to me what’s happened is that the NFL’s social media team have downmixed the original 5.1 surround to stereo by chopping out the front centre and rear speakers (leaving only the audio from the front left/right speakers). Guess where vocals are usually mixed? The front centre speaker.

I remember seeing this phenomenon on Top Gear videos a few years ago where any voiceover was completely drowned out by the background noise/music.

6 Likes