Classic TV Listings

The SMH’s daily listings stopped using callsigns in late March 1992. They started adding the regional stations (Prime, WIN, NBN, Capital, NRTV) to the headings about a week later. The Guide in the SMH continued to use the callsigns until the first week of April 1993.

4 Likes

TV Week replaced the call-signs with channel logos in its listings when it did a big revamp later in 1993, but movie listings still included the call-signs for some time after.

Not sure about the newspapers. The Herald Sun still had call-signs in its TV listings in the early 1990s but I’m not sure when they stopped using them.

2 Likes

interesting! callsigns are unknown to everyone outside of the industry these days.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 27.7.1976, Melbourne

Regional Vic/SA (regional pages included in a middle insert in the magazine)

Source: TV Week

3 Likes

It’s interesting that Nine had the rights to NFL Night Series (midweek competition involving top clubs from VFL, SANFL and WAFL) in 1976.

2 Likes

I think Nine only did that year. The following year the VFL teams pulled out and were replaced by VFA teams despite the VFA not being a member of the NFL/ANFC, I think ATV0 carried the games in Melbourne, not sure about subsequent years. I think I’m right in saying Home didn’t show Aussie Rules again until the 1988 Bicentenary Carnival.

Today’s TV: 27.7.1984, Queensland

5 Likes

Nice 4AY logo !

1 Like

“See 99? I told you it was Visionhire!”

1 Like

Any reason for the Australian Women’s Indoor Tennis Championships (from Sydney) being shown at 10.30pm in Brisbane metro, but live in regional Queensland?

Don’t know. Probably just local programming decisions. Oddly enough, Nine in Sydney and Melbourne had an Olympic concert from LA on the same night and timeslot as TV0’s “Olympic Special”. Given the same event was not shown on QTQ9, maybe it was carried instead on TV0?

EDIT: FWIW, Ten in Sydney had the indoor tennis from 8.30pm.

I seem to recall Ten had a lot of these indoor tennis competitions in prime time back in the day.

3 Likes

Yes. TEN Sydney had the Custom Credit Australian Indoor Tennis Championships from the Horden Pavilion for many years. The name of the tournament and venue changed in later years.

3 Likes

Melbourne TV listings: Friday, July 29, 1983
from The Age

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 28.7.1978, Sydney

Includes The Australian Popular Song Festival on TEN10.

ATN7 in the afternoon has the repeat of a series pilot called Chaser, starring Nick Tate, Barbara Rogers and Stuart Wagstaff. According to IMDB it was made in 1973 but never got picked up for a series.

3 Likes

Sydney and Melbourne, Monday 30 December 1974. Full tennis coverage on Nine, with the tennis mixed with the cricket on Seven and the ABC. Although in Melbourne the cricket coverage started after the tea break of course as it was the Melbourne test. Also of note, Days of Our Lives in primetime on GTV.

Source: SMH, Age.

6 Likes

And a lot of that sport is in colour, too, for the handful of people testing out their colour TVs :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, Nine will be busy behind the scenes putting together its Cyclone Tracy telethon due to begin the next night.

5 Likes

It was mentioned in a preview article of A Glorious Life that Bill Lawry called cricket for Seven before Kerry Packers signed him up for coverage of World Series Cricket. The 1974 Boxing Day test was an example.

How was it possible that the Australian Open was shown across three networks in 1974?

TEN10 was 24 hour in 1978?

Only on Friday nights IIRC

2 Likes

Yeah I’m guessing colour hadn’t officially begun yet?