Classic TV Listings

I didn’t realise ATV10 showed the NSWRL live into Melbourne on Sunday afternoons.

1 Like

Even though Melbourne did’nt have a Professional Rugby League Team…Yet!

Probably similar to how the VFL/AFL Match Of The Day on Saturday afternoons used to be shown live outside of Victoria, but in Victoria game coverage was restricted to replays.

1 Like

Melbourne and Sydney, Thursday 22 November 1956. The day of the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games Opening Ceremony. All three Melbourne channels had live coverage, including GTV which had not officially started and was doing test transmissions. GTV express shipped the unprocessed film of the games to TCN each day so they were able to show highlights each night. It appears that ABN got highlights from ABV the next day.

Friday 23 November 1956.

Source: Melbourne Argus, NLA Trove. SMH archives.

7 Likes

Today’s TV: 17.7.1977, Brisbane.

The movie classic The Sound Of Music makes its Brisbane TV debut. It aired in Melbourne on 20 July at 7.30pm.

2 Likes

SMH, Sydney, 6 July 1967. Notable for the premiere on TCN-9 of the Australian spy drama Hunter that was set in Melbourne, and what seemed, according to news stories, was the Australian premiere of Star Trek. Oddly, the premiere on TCN was episode 10.

The Sun-Herald, 2 July 1967:

However, the SMH archives shows that NRN-11 Coffs Harbour was showing Star Trek on Fridays at 8:55pm from at least March of that year. NRN-11, 27 March - 2 April 1967:

Source: SMH

5 Likes

The NRN World News Report - rather grand name for little old’ NRN-10’s news!

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 19.7.1985, Sydney

Source: TV Week

2 Likes

According to Wikipedia, Ann Sanders was at Ten from 1983 to 1988 in between her stints at Seven.

Today’s TV: 21.7.1979, Melbourne

Today’s TV: 21.7.1984, Sydney

6 Likes

The rugby league game on ABC that day was between Cronulla and Penrith and finished in a 22 all draw.

Interesting Ann Sanders was on weekends at 10 at the time. 2 years before she was promoted to be alongside Tim at weeknights.

But before then, Tony Murphy presented alongside Ann Sanders on weekends in 1985. Who knows if footage of any of these bulletins still exists, but this shot is from a “The Team To Watch” Promo for Eyewitness News:

C10WeekendNewsTony&Ann1985

1 Like

The story behind how Sanders came to replace Katrina Lee on weeknights is rather interesting. Katrina, the senior and more experienced journalist, was white anted out of her role by management who thought it was more important to have a strong male anchor to lead the team and challenge Seven and Nine.

Katrina returned from holidays to be told she would no longer be sitting in the dominant left position. There was also series of farcical ads featuring Tim Webster reporting from the scene of events he never covered. It was well known Katrina was the award winning, accomplished journo and Webster was the pretty boy ex DJ who Ten hired because he looked good on camera and could read the autocue well. This didn’t escape the attention of newspaper columnists even at that time and viewers responded to the negative publicity by turning off. The elevation of Ann Sanders to weeknights was an attempt by Ten to stop the negative attention their poor treatment of Lee had attracted.

5 Likes

I had wondered why Ten had got rid of Katrina Lee at the time because even though we never saw her on TV in Melbourne we knew she was very popular with Sydney viewers – mostly because we saw her win Logies every year as Most Popular Female Personality in NSW.

I sort of just assumed she left of her own accord but I shouldn’t be surprised to learn that wasn’t the case

5 Likes

The Sydney papers did report it wasn’t her decision to leave but Ten tried to spin the story by stating she’d have the freedom to devote time to long form current affairs stories of her choosing and their intention was to make her the star of a weekly current affairs show. Page One came along soon after and she was supposed to be Ten’s answer to Jana Wendt.

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 22.7.1993, Melbourne

6 Likes

I remember “Now You See It” also aired on Nine either towards the late 90s/early noughties. It was produced out of QTQ.

2 Likes

Did you get this off a website?

It’s from my collection

1 Like

When did papers etc stop using callsigns?

1 Like