Olympics Coverage - History

No issue at all in the context they’re being used here.

The BBC replayed London 2012 this weekend - was great to take us back to the finest sporting moment of my lifetime. They’ve also had highlights of Beijing last week and Rio next week - a shame they didn’t go back a bit further as the Sydney games are a strong sporting memory for me too.

Opening to Seven’s Atlanta coverage on the day of the Centennial Park bombing.

1 Like

Adolf Hitler’s film maker Leni Riefenstahl’s made a two part Nazi Germany propoganda documentary feature film about the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. The first part here, Olympia 1: Festival of Nations documents the sporting events. This of course predated widespread television broadcasts. Of note is that the performance of USA athlete Jesse Owens is highlighted.

1 Like

Beretts on 96FM explaining the near-disasters during the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony. No cue during the “Welcome” segment and Nikki Webster almost didn’t starred that night.

1 Like

Try this link:

The listings had the Montreal Olympic Games highlights on ABC, Seven and Nine at around 3pm. Was there any live coverage on any of those channels?

ABC, Seven and Nine as part of their pooled coverage mostly carried delayed one-hour highlights packages sent over via satellite, airing at 3.00pm local time with each channel airing repeats later in the afternoon/evening.

Nine stirred the pot by also setting up its own exclusive coverage additional to the pooled arrangement with Seven and ABC. With that they would stay on-air overnight with highlights and results as they come in. AFAIK very little of the overall coverage was actually live, apart from the opening and closing ceremonies.

Satellite time was expensive, even with all three networks combined, so they couldn’t do much more than just an hour or so of highlights each day.

The 0-10 Network opted not to participate with the other networks in the coverage but they were able to do extended reports in their evening news bulletins. Not like these days where non-rights holders have very tight controls on what they can show.

Also, during this time Nine bumped its news to 6.00 from 6.30 to give it a half-hour head start over Seven. Seven National News (in Melbourne, at least) at 6.30 was hugely popular so Nine, which was struggling to compete, saw it as a way to try and get some new viewers. But once the Games were over it wasn’t long before Nine moved the news back to 6.30 (EDIT: Nine moved its news back to 6.30 on 25 October, clearly not able to put a dent into Seven’s figures)

3 Likes

Some background on the 1976 Olympic Games coverage

Source: TV Week

3 Likes

Yesterday was 8 years since the London 2012 Opening Ceremony.

Here is the 9 crew watching the ceremony in the studio

5 Likes

Roy and HG’s The Dream in Athens 2004 Promo:

Seven’s IOC Copyright message (:face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

All taken prior to the evening replay of the 2004 Opening Ceremony.

11 Likes

Presentation wise, very similar (at least in the choice of filming location) to the 2000 Promo for The Dream!

1 Like

Oh come on 7, do the right bloody thing and bring it back for 2021! One last hurrah! Fucks sake!

Works perfect with the time zone!

6 Likes

Would be perfect. Air it on 7 late night after competition and encore on 7mate the next morning

3 Likes

Still don’t get why Australia has to air that ridiculous copyright message. I’ve not seen it on any other countries coverage - and indeed the fact I’ve seen it at all shows how useless it is considering for me in the UK to see the message about no part of the broadcast being “reproduced or retransmitted” it has to be “reproduced or retransmitted” by somebody. Technically even that screencap is in breech.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this has been posted before or not, but in this video at the 7 minute mark is a 7 Sport closer with IOC mentioned, followed by the Copyright opener for the Sydney 2000 Olympics: Australian TV Commercials 49 (HSV-7, September 15, 2000) - YouTube

I don’t recall seeing the copyright opener online anywhere until I saw it in this video a few days ago.

There is a video online of the opener but it doesn’t have the copyright warning:

Personally, I don’t mind seeing this copyright warning at each Olympics as it adds to the excitement and special feeling that each Games have.

4 Likes

I agree with Brekkie that this copyright message is unnecessary, and should not appear again in future Olympic telecasts. Australia seems to be the country to apply the copyright warning, and I doubt the IOC demanded the broadcaster to add the warning to the telecast. Just show the network logo and a small note at the bottom of the screen will suffice, e.g. for Tokyo next year:

(7 network logo)
Copyright 2021 International Olympic Committee. All rights reserved.

1 Like

CBC has a copyright disclaimer during the telecast in Canada

Credit YouTube/rewindium

The end of CBC’s coverage of the Sydney Olympics. Closing Ceremony and final days were overshadowed by the death of Pierre Trudeau back in Canada.

Wonder how they handled the two events. Peter Mansbridge did not made the trip to Sydney and stayed in Toronto.

Unlike NBC in the States, CBC showed the Olympics Live overnight with many sleep-deprived Canadians after 16 days CBC Archives

1 Like

you can’t watch it as it is blocked by the IOC

Open it in a new tab. It works.

Video unavailable

This video contains content from International Olympic Committee, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Watch on YouTube

1 Like