Classic TV Listings

Today’s TV: 19.7.1985, Sydney

Source: TV Week

2 Likes

According to Wikipedia, Ann Sanders was at Ten from 1983 to 1988 in between her stints at Seven.

Today’s TV: 21.7.1979, Melbourne

Today’s TV: 21.7.1984, Sydney

6 Likes

The rugby league game on ABC that day was between Cronulla and Penrith and finished in a 22 all draw.

Interesting Ann Sanders was on weekends at 10 at the time. 2 years before she was promoted to be alongside Tim at weeknights.

But before then, Tony Murphy presented alongside Ann Sanders on weekends in 1985. Who knows if footage of any of these bulletins still exists, but this shot is from a “The Team To Watch” Promo for Eyewitness News:

C10WeekendNewsTony&Ann1985

1 Like

The story behind how Sanders came to replace Katrina Lee on weeknights is rather interesting. Katrina, the senior and more experienced journalist, was white anted out of her role by management who thought it was more important to have a strong male anchor to lead the team and challenge Seven and Nine.

Katrina returned from holidays to be told she would no longer be sitting in the dominant left position. There was also series of farcical ads featuring Tim Webster reporting from the scene of events he never covered. It was well known Katrina was the award winning, accomplished journo and Webster was the pretty boy ex DJ who Ten hired because he looked good on camera and could read the autocue well. This didn’t escape the attention of newspaper columnists even at that time and viewers responded to the negative publicity by turning off. The elevation of Ann Sanders to weeknights was an attempt by Ten to stop the negative attention their poor treatment of Lee had attracted.

5 Likes

I had wondered why Ten had got rid of Katrina Lee at the time because even though we never saw her on TV in Melbourne we knew she was very popular with Sydney viewers – mostly because we saw her win Logies every year as Most Popular Female Personality in NSW.

I sort of just assumed she left of her own accord but I shouldn’t be surprised to learn that wasn’t the case

5 Likes

The Sydney papers did report it wasn’t her decision to leave but Ten tried to spin the story by stating she’d have the freedom to devote time to long form current affairs stories of her choosing and their intention was to make her the star of a weekly current affairs show. Page One came along soon after and she was supposed to be Ten’s answer to Jana Wendt.

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 22.7.1993, Melbourne

6 Likes

I remember “Now You See It” also aired on Nine either towards the late 90s/early noughties. It was produced out of QTQ.

2 Likes

Did you get this off a website?

It’s from my collection

1 Like

When did papers etc stop using callsigns?

1 Like

The SMH’s daily listings stopped using callsigns in late March 1992. They started adding the regional stations (Prime, WIN, NBN, Capital, NRTV) to the headings about a week later. The Guide in the SMH continued to use the callsigns until the first week of April 1993.

4 Likes

TV Week replaced the call-signs with channel logos in its listings when it did a big revamp later in 1993, but movie listings still included the call-signs for some time after.

Not sure about the newspapers. The Herald Sun still had call-signs in its TV listings in the early 1990s but I’m not sure when they stopped using them.

2 Likes

interesting! callsigns are unknown to everyone outside of the industry these days.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 27.7.1976, Melbourne

Regional Vic/SA (regional pages included in a middle insert in the magazine)

3 Likes

It’s interesting that Nine had the rights to NFL Night Series (midweek competition involving top clubs from VFL, SANFL and WAFL) in 1976.

2 Likes

I think Nine only did that year. The following year the VFL teams pulled out and were replaced by VFA teams despite the VFA not being a member of the NFL/ANFC, I think ATV0 carried the games in Melbourne, not sure about subsequent years. I think I’m right in saying Home didn’t show Aussie Rules again until the 1988 Bicentenary Carnival.

Today’s TV: 27.7.1984, Queensland

5 Likes