Canberra Radio

Yep, definitely agree there.

1 Like

I guess it’s a question of would co-owner ARN allow or want it to change to Triple M.

5 Likes

I would’ve done the opposite if that’s the case. Go KIIS104.7 and Triple M 106.3.

Too late I suppose. But at least it would better represent the stations.

Seeing that old Mix logo just reminds me of easy listening & the Love God.

4 Likes

Looking at the Canberra RA1 licence area map, I think the boundaries should be revised.

The Ridgeway and Carwoola residential areas in NSW to the north east of Queanbeyan are not in the licence area, but the nature reserve to the north of there across the border in the ACT is in the licence area.

The whole Googong area in NSW, which includes the older larger residential blocks and the new development near Googong Reservoir, is also not in the licence area and neither is the forthcoming development of South Jerrabomberra in NSW which is across the border from Hume in the ACT.

And Uriarra Village in the ACT has always been outside the licence because it seems ACMA used the Murrumbidgee River as the boundary there and Uriarra Village is on the other side. Similarly Gundaroo is just outside the licence area as it is on the wrong side of the Yass River which is used as the boundary there.

4 Likes

Revising boundaries is a great idea but can’t remember when it was last done.

Your observations are spot on of growth areas.

Don’t forget Burra made a submission to ACMA on receiving digital radio too.

Bundaberg has another anomalous boundary that should be high on the priority list to redefine.

5 Likes

Tim Shaw didn’t seem to have lasted long in his new timeslot, which was only for over a month, given the below news.

1 Like

His post on Twitter:

…so that now makes it five (six, if you count Chris Mac’s stint) drive presenters that 2CC has had just since 2016.

Management have no idea how to operate a successful talk station. Should have Graham Mott on retainer as advisor.

1 Like

Does anyone have any idea why Canberra community FM stations: 91.1 1CMS, 91.9 1WAY & 92.7 1ART have moved their FM transmission facilities back to Black Mountain tower?
They originally commenced there.

2-4 years ago all three community broadcasters: CMS, One Way FM & Artsound FM moved to Poppet Hill (on the ACT/NSW border east of Canberra).

Looks like the move back to Black Mountain occurred sometime between January 2019 & April 2019.

Answering my own question I discovered this:

https://www.1wayfm.com.au/were-moving-up/

So the move back to Black Mountain tower occurred July 13, 2019.
Also reference to DAB+ for station soon.

3 Likes

Did 2XX 98.3 move to Poppet Hill in conjunction with the other community broadcasters? The ACMA RRL has them listed at Black Mountain

No 2XX stayed put at Black Mountain Tower.

1 Like

Radioinfo has picked up on the above conversation: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/community-radio-reaches-new-heights-canberra

2 Likes

It’s great stuff to hear 2CA doing a live OB tonight being a Saturday night. Yes no doubt it’s a paid promo but still, proof Capital Radio still shows initiative in these days of automation and networking.

3 Likes

For what @clickso? Who was the client?

1 Like

Murrumbateman Pub. For all intents and purposes I think it was a good cross promotion, like the old Jukebox Live that 2WS did in the 90’s

2 Likes

Excellent, they need to be doing more of that, being seen, reminding the audience they exist.

For an AM music station, active marketing of digital radio is necessary too. Does 2CA do any of this?

2WS did this very well. Did Dave Sutherland do similar on KOFM?

1 Like

I was in Canberra over the weekend on the way back from Melbourne, & listened exclusively to 2CA.

I’m not sure why this doesn’t rate better, it’s actually quite good. The 2CA log used to be quite a bit different to the 2XL/2GN/3GG log, but now it’s not that much different.

You’ve got Cathy Dinn & Rob (the Duck) Duckworth on 2CA now as well, so there’s quite a bit of Sydney metro market professionalism there too.

2CA coverage seems to be greater than it used to be, but it’s been a while since I’ve driven that stretch of the Hume Hwy, it was quite listenable on AM to the Illawarra Hwy turn off to the North (just after the Sutton Forrest Service center), but probably could’ve gone further, (2CA out did the 2GN coverage to the North), & then way past Gundagai in the South, maybe somewhere around Tarcutta?

6 Likes

AM music stations in competitive markets have struggled for years.

Aside from that, effective promotion is the only other answer.

1 Like