Canberra Radio

Murrumbateman Pub. For all intents and purposes I think it was a good cross promotion, like the old Jukebox Live that 2WS did in the 90’s

2 Likes

Excellent, they need to be doing more of that, being seen, reminding the audience they exist.

For an AM music station, active marketing of digital radio is necessary too. Does 2CA do any of this?

2WS did this very well. Did Dave Sutherland do similar on KOFM?

1 Like

I was in Canberra over the weekend on the way back from Melbourne, & listened exclusively to 2CA.

I’m not sure why this doesn’t rate better, it’s actually quite good. The 2CA log used to be quite a bit different to the 2XL/2GN/3GG log, but now it’s not that much different.

You’ve got Cathy Dinn & Rob (the Duck) Duckworth on 2CA now as well, so there’s quite a bit of Sydney metro market professionalism there too.

2CA coverage seems to be greater than it used to be, but it’s been a while since I’ve driven that stretch of the Hume Hwy, it was quite listenable on AM to the Illawarra Hwy turn off to the North (just after the Sutton Forrest Service center), but probably could’ve gone further, (2CA out did the 2GN coverage to the North), & then way past Gundagai in the South, maybe somewhere around Tarcutta?

6 Likes

AM music stations in competitive markets have struggled for years.

Aside from that, effective promotion is the only other answer.

1 Like

Some have, but 4KQ Brisbane is quite competitive & rates well, same with Cruise in Adelaide.

4 Likes

What shift?

He’s the floater I think, was on a couple of shifts Sat & Sun, & was filling in on Mornings on Monday, though all this week I think?

3 Likes

Thanks @RFBurns

I agree. When I was in Canberra last month, I listened to 2CA the most, and didn’t even bother with either Hit 104.7 (which carries the same log as the rest of the Hit regionals, inc Newcastle & Central Coast) or Mix 106.3 (which has its own log).

Apparently, 6iX in Perth (where I’m currently holidaying) carries the same log as 2CA, just on a 2-3 hour delay due to time zone difference.

At least when 2GN/2XL converts to FM, at least you would still be able to listen to 2CA at night at home in Lake Macquarie, @RFBurns. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, not looking forward to losing 2XL & 2GN off AM.

2CA is good also in mornings when it’s local & music, whereas 2XL & 2GN, (& most other AM’s along the Sydney to Melbourne journey are network talk-back).

1 Like

Perhaps, but look at 4KQ and Cruise - both in much more competitive markets than Canberra.

2 Likes

Why? Do you listen at night when driving?

Indeed, because they’re better programmed than Kevin’s format, more relevancy results in more audience and likely more clients at a higher price.

By running the same log across Canberra, Perth and regionals, it implies limited or no market research. They should be investing in both Perth and Canberra in rolling research to understand what music and what format potential audiences want; it’s clear they’re not.

They’re using day/night switching?

The coverage south and west is amazing. As you write, over the gap into Tarcutta and in the low noise environment on the freeway in such a rural location, beside the rock cuttings, listenable reception to Holbrook.

West/north and I’ve tried it on a drive from Yass to Narrandera. Impressed at Yass, surprised at Harden and Temora. Noise floor increases towards Ardlethan but still listenable in the low noise rural environment until the town grid of Narrandera and its power line noise.

4 Likes

I wish ARN owned 6IX. It would complement 4KQ and Cruise. I know they can’t because they own half of Nova Perth. Perhaps Nova Ent could buy the other half of Nova 937 and ARN buy the other half 97.3 Brisbane to make up for it. 96FM and 6IX as one group would be pretty powerful against SCA.

2 Likes

Yes, I listen to both 2XL & 2GN on the way home from work in Sydney sometimes, I also often listen at home of a night, especially through the early morning hours if I can’t sleep.

Yes I know I could stream them, but radio runs in my blood, the romance of listening to the airwaves isn’t there with streaming, it’s just listening to your phone, you might as well just have an iPod playing.

There’s no indication in their licence or any ACMA registers, that 2CA use day/night switching, just directional 5kW. Looking at their licensed CMF figures, they don’t have any direction as strong as the Newcastle directional AM’s SBS 1413 or Sky Racing 1341, so I can’t explain why it travels so far, it’s good though, so I’m not complaining.

4 Likes

Totally agree, and that the sound quality on FM sounds nicer than the compressed streaming quality.

3 Likes

Agree, nothing beats a broadcast signal. Online streaming is not the same.

Thanks for confirming no streaming, great coverage from their site then.

4 Likes

‘Bulging disc’ strikes again:

https://www.2gb.com/radio-newsreaders-hilarious-slip-of-the-tongue/

How did we miss this?

Didn’t Hadley’s weekend team make a similar mistake quite some years ago?

1 Like

I’ve noticed myself that SCA has taken full control of Mix 106.3, which was supposed to be ARN’s contribution to Canberra’s major commercial FM station but now its a full-on Triple M station in disguise. As someone mentioned above, swapping them around (with Hit becoming KIIS and Mix becoming Triple M) might be more fitting due to their current formats but SCA are saying “Triple M doesn’t have the same charm as Mix 106.3 to Canberra locals” so I think ARN losing their part in the 50/50 work would better and allow Mix 106.3 to properly rebrand to Triple M (with the change reminded on-air as their “new name”).

Also, don’t know if NOVA would like to expand to Canberra with local NOVA and Smooth stations…

3 Likes

They haven’t. SCA program the Canberra FM stations, while ARN is responsible for sales and administration. Additionally, Mix is sold as a KIIS Network station to national advertisers

4 Likes

Yes, from ARN website.

I haven’t listened to Mix 106.3 for a while, but in addition to Kennedy Molloy I assume they still have a couple of Triple M shows on Sunday and still take news from SCA on weekend afternoons. (?)

5 Likes