Canberra Radio

It appears that Richard Perno is stepping down from presenting 2CC’s “Canberra Live” drive program, as they’re looking for a new drive presenter.

See job ad (via Radioinfo) here: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/jobs/2cc-drive-personality

1 Like

Mix 106.3 getting ready for the arrival of Jimmy Barnes at Songland Records at Cooleman Court, Weston Creek.

He finally arrived.

7 Likes

2CC are doing a 4BC, with Alan Jones to take over breakfast from Tim Shaw, who will move to the drive program, the only local program to remain on the station during weekdays. As a result, Ray Hadley will be extended to a full 3-hour program. The changes will start from Monday 15th July.

Source: Radioinfo

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t think 2CC’s ratings (which from all reports have been poor in recent years) will be helped by the decision to replace their local breakfast show with Alan Jones.

5 Likes

The reduction of local content is sad, but I think this will be good for 2CC’s ratings. I don’t expect a ratings bonanza for them by any means, but Hadley and Jones are usually the best ratings of the day for them and I know of at least a few people (myself included) who stream Alan live rather than waiting around for his highlights show at 11am.

I expect 2CC to regain some listeners who abandoned them for streaming of 2GB, plus some federal Coalition staffers when they’re in town, and maybe a few curious Canberrans who want to check out what one of the most influential broadcasters in the country is talking about. Whether that improves the rest of the day’s figures, I don’t know, but I certainly hope Tim Shaw can bring most of his breakfast audience to Drive.

If nothing else, it will make Michael McLaren’s daily announcement that Alan Jones will be on after the 5:30 news make sense!

Personally I wish there was a tad more local programming (maybe an hour at 8am of “Canberra’s Morning News”, or a local show at midday where Chris Smith was and Steve Price will probably be) but given 2CC’s ratings I’m not surprised they have decided they can only sustain one local weekday show for now.

If this works out for 2CC, I expect Macquarie to run Alan live in to 6PR as “early breakfast” before long.

3 Likes

There needs to be border protection so that Alan’s signal is stopped at Eagle Hawke before it reaches the ACT border.

I had a drive by the new 2CA-2CC studios. It appears that the fitout is still happening. There were a few cars out the front so work is progressing. There is no signs yet, but there was a 2CC flag out the front. I wonder when it will be finished so they can move in.

4 Likes

We’re moving in over the weekend

3 Likes

Exactly. The once #1 2CC will remain an irrelevant cellar dweller of Canberra radio.

Not many, streaming isn’t as big as you think, even less of that fraction are Canberra listeners of 2GB.

They have media monitoring paid for by us and an internet connection anywhere they need it.

At least it’s happening unlike the Grecian marble that’s been on order for 2HD/NEW for the last 10 - 20 years.

5 Likes

Yep, I agree.

There’s no doubt that 2CC will gain Samuel and a few other Canberrans who currently listen to the Alan Jones breakfast show via 2GB’s online stream, but just how many of those are going to be participating in the ratings surveys? Not many (if any at all), I suspect.

Agreed. Surely any credible media monitoring service would include 2GB (and just about any major radio/TV station of significance from the five main metros)?

There would’ve been a far bigger “novelty” factor over Alan Jones having his breakfast show broadcast on 2CC back in the mid/late 1990s when stations outside your own media market (or if you’re really lucky, perhaps one or two immediately surrounding markets) were far less accessible than they are now.

4 Likes

Probably, but even a small increase in ratings would be good for their bottom line. As someone who thinks AM radio is a wonderful medium, I hate to say it, but it may take a conversion to FM or an eventual shutdown of analog in favour of digital to give 2CC or 2CA a chance at picking up a reasonable chunk of the market ever again.

How big do you think I think streaming is? No, I agree, streaming isn’t that big (Macquarie have configured a limit of 7596 listeners to the two 2GB shoutcast streams and whenever I’ve looked during the Alan/Ray morning peak they tend to get 60-70% of that, so minuscule compared to their terrestrial broadcast reach), but I’m well-aware of a number of previous 2CC P1s who have switched to streaming 2GB, primarily for Alan. Not a big number, but as noted earlier, even a small increase would give 2CC a boost at this point.

They do, but many still listen anyway. As we previously established, streaming isn’t “that big” so if a more convenient option is available they’ll take it. I’ll give you an example…check out the screens in the public photos of the ACT Liberal Party’s election night function. They had SNOW on. Terrestrial broadcast was the easy way to get Sky’s election coverage on the screens without worrying about getting Foxtel or streaming set up.

A lot of media is in survival mode with ever-decreasing revenue. If running Alan live gives 2CC a little bit of extra revenue and helps to sustain a live and local newsroom and some local programming, and if it keeps an audience happy, then that’s a good thing in my books. It might be serving a small minority of the market, but I could say that about most stations in the country outside of monopoly markets.

(Repost. Sorry, I broke the formatting the first time around)

2 Likes

I remember when Fairfax got the supplementary licence for 2CA back in 1988 and launched FM104, they turned 2CA into a clone of 2GB Newstalk 87 called Canberra Newstalk 2CA. Huge chunks of 2GB suddenly appeared on 2CA, which until then through the 1980s had mostly only taken Macquarie National News, iirc. However, it didn’t last long, (can’t remember exactly how long), and soon after 2CA reverted to a local format. A Canberra station being an almost full-time relay of 2GB is not exactly new. :grinning:

7 Likes

Not long after FM104 went to air, Austereo had bought 2CA & FM104 from Macquarie, who soon after added the “.7” to their station name. This would explain why the Newstalk format on 2CA didn’t last long.

4 Likes

I recall thinking that FM104 Canberra must have been on 103.9. I got a bit of a shock when I discovered that it was closer to 105 than 104!

4 Likes

If you had tuned in to 103.9 instead of 104.7 you would have been in for a shock. “Why does this rate so well? All they ever do is talk about horses!”

I have a vague memory of some stage around 1997 or 1998 that 2CC ran Alan Jones for 30 minutes from 8:30am to 9am before John Laws. Whether he was live or it was a highlights package, I don’t know.

4 Likes

2CC and 2CA moved in to their new studios in Bellenden St overnight, going live this morning from 6am. They have built on the edge of 2CC’s transmitter site, down the road from the studios of 104.7 and 106.3.

6 Likes

2CC following 4BC’s example

2 Likes

Sally Whyte and The Canberra Times are a few days late to pick up the news of 2CC’s decision to broadcast The Alan Jones Breakfast Show, Radioinfo had a report on it last Friday.

6 Likes

Canberra Behind The Times, more like it in that case.

the Canberra Times reported on the changes on friday too

4 Likes

I don’t know why they won’t just make it KIIS106.3 and hit104.7 in Canberra?

OR if they keep it Mix106.3 why don’t they update their logo like Mix Adelaide’s?

1 Like