American Idol

Sorry I meant this year, in a few months when they can perform in a studio even if it’s empty.

2 Likes

Of course the performances are going to be nowhere near as good if its just them sitting there doing it via Skype or zoom.

During the finale many viewers saw what looked like Ryan Seacrest having a stroke. As he was announcing the final two one side of his face drooped down and he had to hold himself up with his arm on the table. He was also slow, slurry and quite non-responsive for the remainder of the episode. Ryan Seacrest is denying he had a stroke but watching it myself it didn’t look good.

American Idol will be shown on Nine Network for the first time. Nine has picked up the rights to the current season and will air it on 9GO! soon.

I’m surprised they decided to air it. My boyfriend watches it and from what I saw it was not a great season. The live shows were delayed as they figured out what to do so it reduced the number of weeks of live shows, where they performed from home and it was extremely fast paced. I know it’s all that they could do at the time but it just didn’t work IMO. It didn’t really give any of the contestants real exposure, performing experience or a chance to shine. I watched the finale when it was on a few weeks ago and I can barely even remember who won.

American Idol season 18 premieres on Nine on Tuesday, July 7 at 9.10pm. I am surprised it is airing on the main channel rather than 9GO!.

They must think some of The Voice audience would be interested… But in that case it would be smarter to air it after The Voice one night

It is airing after The Voice.

I believe American Idol will air after The Voice in the first two weeks (playoffs on July 7 and showdowns on July 14). After that AI will have to rely on other programs lead-ins.

Already anticipating it’s going to be a fizzer.

Given it finished in the US almost 3 months ago and was never a ratings hit here that’s a given.

But according to Nine’s schedule, American Idol will again air on main channel next Tuesday (July 14) after The Voice semi-final. I actually tipped this last week.

2 Likes

Started tonight on Nine.

Not sure when it was filmed, but there’s a TOTAL lack of social distancing on that show!

According to Wikipedia, the first five episodes (auditions in front of judges) took place from September 30 to November 8, 2019, well before the COVID-19 outbreak took place.

1 Like

This aired in the US back in March and the live shows were done from home.

1 Like

Interesting programming tactic by Nine.

UPDATE: Nine dropped the main channel repeat after two weeks, so the only way to watch the new episode is on 9GO!.

Looks like Nine is combining 2 episodes together next week as the episode is set to go for 3 hours when the run time online says that it’s the same length as all of the other episodes at 1 hour and 25 mins.