American Idol

Ryan Seacrest, Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Ritchie will all return next season.

9Go! schedule update:

After last night’s 1.3% share for 9Go (it even rated less than 7Two in the demos) - American Idol is being bumped to a late night timeslot.

Thursday 3 September 10:10pm - AMERICAN IDOL Top 20 Reveal

A Night’s Tale will now take the 7.30 timeslot.

1 Like

For a young-skewing channel to rate that badly in demos is a testament to how bad this show is performing.

3 Likes

Goes to show Nine buying the rights to American Idol was a mistake.

1 Like

I wonder if they actually paid for them or they came with something for free.

I wonder how this would do on a streaming service like Stan , if it was on and uploaded episodes direct from the US?

2 Likes

I just wonder if nine bought the licence off seven for Australian idol and got this as an added extra. Like you do for the talent series.

2 Likes

Not surprising given the main part of the season with the “live shows” are done via zoom. It’s not exciting viewing at all watching people sing from their bedrooms or backyards, especially when it’s so delayed.

1 Like

The first zoom episode is this week. The low ratings have nothing to do with that.

1 Like

Another three hour episode.

9GO!'s program guide for next week has the finale on Thursday, September 10 at 10pm, which doesn’t make sense. Between the top 20 and the finale there were two episodes - top 11 (Homeward Bound) and top 7 (Disney and Mother’s Day special). Is 9GO! skipping these two episodes and going straight to the finale?

1 Like

The three hour episode indicates that it’s the top 20 and top 11 episodes combined. The following week is also 3 hours long which is when the final 2 eps will be shown.

1 Like

The final two episodes of the season will be shown on 9GO! tomorrow (September 10) at the even later time of 11.50pm and won’t finish until around 3am. Set your PVR or catch up on 9Now on Friday morning.

The three judges (Lionel Richie, Luke Bryan and Katy Perry) will have separate tables and there will be zoning in place for interacting with others. Cast and crew are all being tested in accordance with local, state, union and industry guidelines from organizations including the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), federal, state, local government and health agencies and medical professionals. There will also be social distancing on set and cast and crew will be required to wear masks when not on camera.

1 Like

The new season started in the US on February 14. Given Seven will revive Australian Idol in 2022, perhaps it should acquire the rights to American Idol and make it a 7plus exclusive?

1 Like

Is there enough interest? I think not.

4 Likes

I really doubt the Australian version will go ahead.

4 Likes

I certainly hope it doesn’t go ahead. Australian Idol is an insult to real musicians who actually write their own songs and play their own instruments but are shafted from performing their music in venues in favour of Idol contestants who appear on TV and would pull bigger crowds.

How is that different from any other singing or talent show?

To be fair Idol did uncover more successful artists than any of the other talent shows and some of them have had long careers. I just think the format is outdated and can’t see the point in it coming back.

3 Likes

This is spot on in regards to Idol’s influence over the music industry:

Apparently idol will lead the year in 2022. That decision was made prior to Holey Moley failing, but I think consolidated that view now that it has failed.

1 Like