AM and FM DX

With warm to hot weather asserting itself this week, I’d expect there to be some tropo about the NSW coast, particularly on Wednesday and Thursday.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for that. Any rough idea when it last appeared in the ACMA lists?
I know some of these SBS transmission antennas are mounted on or near the council buildings.
Would have been interesting to know if the antenna for 103.9 was still there. If removed then maybe
the transmission perhaps illegal or pirate. I guess we can speculate all we like, certainly more investigation required for another time or another visit

Awesome.

Some of the supervision of these self help or rebroadcast transmitters leaves a lot to be desired.
And sometimes they’re only on air for a short number of years before the licencee decides to cancel
the licence due to lack of interest in such services.

and the Cooma outlet on 106.5 is still bung. Still playing the “Welcome to VAST” music bed for 3 years or so now. I emailed the council recommending they turn it off.

3 Likes

There should be a TX of SBS Radio, or any government funded broadcaster, high powered enough from Rossgole without either Upper Hunter or Muswellbrook paying for it. Essentially you’ve paid twice - one via federal taxes, second through rates.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

Heard 6WA 558khz on its own via my car radio on Monday morning. Yep , no sign of 7BU etc.

3 Likes

If or when 7BU converts to FM sometime next year, then picking up 6WA from Wagin would become more common & easier, particularly in the SE corner of Australia.

2 Likes

That’s a good catch!

Where was that at?

@dxer2_2000 lives near Cooma, so probably around there.

Tried to pick that up here in Coffs early one morning a few weeks ago without any luck. All I got was 4GY Gympie and 4AM Atherton, with 4AM the strongest of them all. Never heard it down here before.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve never had any luck with DXing WA stations from here in NSW. Though I haven’t really tried in recent years.

Even when I visited Perth / Busselton in 2007, I could only really get VIC stations, plus 4QD 1548 from Emerald.

1 Like

I managed at Easter on the Gold Coast to null 4QS in favour of 7SE Esperance, wasn’t difficult on a Sony handheld world band radio inside cavity brick, concrete slab unit block.

1 Like

There’s also NewsRadio Hobart on 747 kHz, which is usually what I get mixing with 4QS here in Sydney. I’ve never heard an echo of Esperance. If you heard music, though, you almost certainly had the South East Sandgroper.

1 Like

Yes, music, might have matched with Gold as they don’t seem to delay overnight networking in WA.

I did post of it, you can view it if it can be searched.

In ordinary conditions how far does Esperance get out across the Nullabour/Australian Bight?

1 Like

There are signs (blue bgrd, white writing) for it west of Madura, perhaps Caiguna, but couldn’t receive it.

1 Like

Rockhampton strong tonight into Brisbane again.

2 Likes

Despite the warm weather forecast for this week in the in greater Sydney region, the DX forecast maps are only showing some patchy minor lift from Tues-Thurs, nothing really on Fri or Sat.

1 Like

Lift should be strongest on Thursday under NE winds; Friday will be a write off because hot westerlies are predicted. I’m surprised the maps aren’t more active as sea surface temperatures are quite cool at the moment which tends to enhance the coastal inversion (greater difference between sea and atmospheric temp).

2 Likes

Big tropo to Sydney tonight with RDS on all stations (incl 2MFM 92.1) & tropo to Newcastle (incl 2NUR) & Taree 98.7. No RDS noted on KO-FM.

Tropo is such a rare event here I was beginning to think it had become extinct!

2 Likes