AM and FM DX

I just wish to thank @RFBurns and others for the recent detailed explanation of the Sydney TXers. Myself being a ham operator and working in the 2way radio business, it is of high interest to me. Thanks gents!

4 Likes

Some ducting about tonight.

Most Sydney Community radio stations are being received here, including 88.9 2RSR which can be difficult to get. Though no 2WOW, or the even harder to get 2BAC. Got the VOI temporary station on 107.9 too.

Faint ABCs on 101.9 and 103.5 from the South Coast, but not detectable on 105.1 due to heavy splatter from NEW FM. Also ABCs from Canberra, though like the South Coast, they were fading in and out, and were never anything more than faint.

Wollongong was booming in as it usually does on these occasions, Sydney commercials also stronger than usual.

1 Like

Some enhanced reception into Brisbane tonight with Middle Brother on 97.1 and 98.7 at low levels probably the highlight from south and Rockhampton ABCs from north.

1 Like

can anyone tell me where the get the XHDATA D-808 Radio in Canberra?
I am looking to buy one today

you can only get them on Ebay

ok thank [dxer2_2000]

just a minor tropo to Coonie (107.1/107.9) & Orange 105.1 (For some unknown reason, RN Batemans took a rare fade!). 105.1 was there on its own for a bit with the Luke Bona Nightshift prg.

1 Like

Some great tropo tonight from Newcastle into NW Sydney. KO Fm is absolutely belting it in and is close to local strength with RDS.
New fm is receivable again with tropo at my location now they are back up the tower, and received for the first time with RDS.

Hit 106.9, 2NUR all received well. 2RPH Newcastle over 2RPH Sydney. Rhema over 2SSR.
Enhancement of Central Coast community stations and even Hornsby Community radio.
Eagle fm Goulburn received in stereo.
No Wollongong tv reception due to strong ducting from Newcastle at present.

3 Likes

Depending on weather/tropo conditions, it very well could be the last (or penultimate) time we get KOFM here in Sydney before the rebrand to Triple M? Only about two and a half weeks to go now!

I think I always receive that station to some degree.

1 Like

And kind of the reverse here, Sydney near local strength and Wollongong pretty strong as well, with i98 over the top of News Radio.

In the car a short while ago, Middle Brother also strong, even a bit of Hit 105.1 Kempsey.

3 Likes

It looks exactly the same as the Digitech AR1780 sold locally by Jaycar

Currently on my way up to the North West Slopes just for a country drive.

I noticed that all 5 self help stations for the mining sites south of Muswellbrook were all on air.

JJJ on both 91.7 and 100.9
2NM on both 93.3 and 99.1
Power FM on 94.9 only

100.9 sounded like it was proper stereo.

93.3 was unlistenable - too much electrical noise, it was nearly as loud as the audio, it was THAT bad.

99.1 was clean, but audio level was very low.

2 Likes

The various SBS retransmissions out here in the North West where I am right now seem to have gone to pot.

103.9 Gunnedah seems to have been taken over by another outlet. Right now it is airing an A-League game but earlier this afternoon it sounded like a Christian radio program. I donā€™t know what this is.

97.1 Tamworthā€™s signal is on, but dead airā€¦

100.1 at Murrurundi is off air completely. I still remember when it was broadcasting ONE HD (presumably from a Set Top Box that I presume was meant to be feeding it SBS Radio).

2 Likes

Hot and steamy in SE Qld this afternoon, must be some good catching going on?

Some enhancement to the north with Rockhampton ABCs coming in

2 Likes

Did you mean 103.9 Gunnedah transmission site or location of reception?
Mono or Stereo pilot carrier?
I canā€™t find on ACMA list nor do I have any knowledge of a FM station there. Was SBSFM there in the past?
2WAY Muswellbrook is listed on that frequency.

I recall another radio station carrying ONE-HD in the past incorrectly.
Iā€™m suspecting is a default fallback channel for a particular brand of satellite receiver box.
Give the local council a call. Local councils seam to be the licencee of these rural SBSFM transmissions

BTW was 107.7 2SBSFM Muswellbrook still on?

Itā€™s a transmitter in Gunnedah itself on 103.9.
It used to be SBS last time I was up there.
Itā€™s not on the ACMA lists anymore, but itā€™s still in use somehow.

And yes, 107.7 in Muswellbrook is still SBS - that is ONE retransmission that is still running.

1 Like

For Murrurundi, thatā€™s the Upper Hunter Shire.

Probably because Muswellbrook Shire got someone decent in to do it? Also, how much power does it have? I couldnā€™t hear it in Scone - is it low power?

Yes, itā€™s low powered, reception is scratchy even in Aberdeen.

On the way home yesterday, I also did a couple of quick DXes.

From Porcupine Lookout at Gunnedah, the most notable was some drifting on 101.7, where BOTH WSFM and ABC Classic FM could be heardā€¦ Both were unstable though. There was something on 106.5 too, hard to tell what it was though, it was very weak. Also had Newcastle stations from there too.

And at Who Da Thought It Lookout at Quirindi, I had that all of myself, so I wandered around a bit with my Tecsun and got some pretty impressive readings. ABCs from Mt Dowe at around 47db, which at a distance of 145km I thought was pretty good. They were also full stereo on the car radio. GGG at 37db and NOW was only 21db. Mt Cenn Crauich ABCs were 37db, still good considering itā€™s 158km away.

Also picked up 2KRR from Kandos/Rylstone, and faint ZOO FM Dubbo.

3 Likes