Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

107.9 FM Sydney. Another instance of Islamic broadcaster blatantly (seemingly) flaunting its licence conditions by broadcasting beyond its short term licence period. 13-25 Aug. Being heard this evening August 26th. [Ref. ACMA online register]

3 Likes

Will any of this LPON’s get onto the Sydney Dab+ multiplexes?

No.

Ah that was Radio 2’s original plan hoping they would get DAB licences for their off band narrowcast AM licences.

2 Likes

There’s probably a fair amount of history behind the likes of Radio 2, 2GW, The Goanna and 3XX that will sadly never get a look in, by virtue of their own failings

3 Likes

I’m currently in Daylesford, Victoria and 88.0 was playing Haze FM or something like that. It was a web stream as it was occasionally buffering. Since early this morning it has just been dead air.

3 Likes

This station is on again but sounding very distorted

1 Like

Typical inexperience or tightfistedness of many LPON operators

1 Like

This is the stream it is playing https://www.phazefm.com.au/

2 Likes

I’ve heard of Phaze FM before; they claim a frequency of 104.5 in Horsham but can’t see it listed on their site.

1 Like

I managed to receive a weak signal from 87.8 Pulse FM Kingston inside Hobart Airport today. That’s pretty good going considering airports are usually pretty average for any radio reception. I mention this because I know there is (was?) a forum member that’s involved.

2 Likes

I think Josh would be pretty pleased to hear that. He’s done really well for a kid, if only he could run SCA.

He’s currently working with some of the biggest names in audio processing (including Leif from Omnia), to make radio sound better, & he’s got the audio quality on Pulse FM sounding awesome.

5 Likes

Brisbane AM narrowcast licence, AM 1053, the pre FM home of 4EB, has a new program on air:

Vision radio.

It had been off air for some weeks once the Indian program ended.

Prior to the Indians, it began broadcasting Italian from the Abruzzo club on Fursden Road, Carina. During that time, shifted to the BA site Tingalpa, former 4BK site.

Any reason why local tourist radio narrowcasts are now all religious broadcasts? When did they all seem to cease? The signs are all up for them still.

1 Like

I’m guessing those licences were purchased by Seventh Day Adventist Church, who seem to operate most of them.

1 Like

I unfortunately noticed this the other night - 1053 had been clear for a while which had been nice, allowed for 2CA reception at distance. They already cover most of Brisbane on the <88MHz band so only God knows why they need to occupy a city-wide licence on AM (pun certainly intended) - just another example of wasted use of broadcast spectrum, though on AM maybe not so valuable I guess

I know it’s been said here before, but 4EB resuming 1053kHz wouldn’t be a bad outcome for Brisbane radio as it would gift another high-powered FM frequency to the city. In fact, even a straight swap with 4KQ could service the Brisbane public very well

5 Likes

About as much chance of that as the Geelong football club relocating to Colac.

3 Likes

Because money talks, it annoys me that they buy all the LPON up and stop people who want to have a go at providing local program from been able to do so simply cause they have the money to win the auction and get the monopoly of the LPON band.

5 Likes

Why are there even in band narrowcast frequencies being assigned?

We have very congested spectrum and a need for more choice on radio. It should be used for community stations that can meet community participation/relevance and local content rules, or commercial radio, where there is a real economic incentive to meet community needs.

Off band, I’d like to see ownership limits - but I suppose they’d just avoid it with proxy companies…

3 Likes

Yep, exactly. So the aspirants who might want to have a go are left out, so either have to go battle with the politics of one of the local community stations (if you’re lucky enough to have one), or risk pirating and copping a whopping great fine when you’re inevitably caught

FWIW, give them 1053 for all I care, let them have their wide reach. But don’t let them have both that AND a near-monopoly on the entire narrowcast band in a capital city

2 Likes