AFL

When was the last round, where every game was good/close (like this round has been)?

Great to watch on TV :grinning:

Fremantle v Richmond probably won’t be.

Yeah I don’t think its a very fair stat. Because if you want to be technical then Sydnwy was in the top 2 prior to the first round… if Port had played West coast a day earlier they would have been in the top 8.

How?

But they didn’t.

Not sure how it is not a ‘fair’ stat.

Sydney were the runner ups.

All the other teams had played an extra game… If they played the Friday night it would have been a different story.

I said at the time and season 2017 is not season 2016.

I am sorry but its someone looking to pick straws… They have beaten a top 8 side. You could say a lot of things don’t count but they do. They beat Sydney Round 1 - a team coming off a Grand Final appearance (and current top 8 side). They beat West Coast who were in the top 8 before the round began (and to note when all teams had played the same amount of games). The more concerning thing is they have lost to 6 teams inside the top 8. The positive is they have been in most of those games.

Port Adelaide have beaten zero top 8 sides. And most likely won’t.
I’m surprised you haven’t trotted out the “we have the most wins in China and Ballarat” yet!

Well if you put it that way you are wrong. They have beaten Sydney.

So the last round is coming up and we farewell as an AFL venue Subiaco. Given I’ll be there (and somehow got a ticket to the game!) we shall see what if anything is planned to farewell the ground, even though there’s only 2 other games (the WAFL GF and an International Rules Game) to be played.

1 Like

Today was Fremantle’s last game at Subiaco and there were many spare seats. Next Sunday however should be a full house given it will not only be West Coast’s last home game at the venue but also a finals spot is at stake.

1 Like

Port Adelaide have not beaten a top 8 side at the time they played in season 2017.

Whatever you say I still think its a very unique stat. It’s been one of the strangest and best seasons of Aussie rules football in a long time.

I still don’t think its an accurate stat. Sorry. It impossible to beat 13 - probably 14 after next week - sides and not beat a top 8 side.

Yet Port Power have done it…

1 Like

Umm stats don’t lie mate.

Well they do when you skew them.

You can look at it in two ways. And not that I care we are playing finals and that is all that matters.

1. Before Round 17 (or 16 whatever round it was) Port and West Coast were both in the top 8. Port beat West Coast.
  2. Before the bounce, when all but one game had concluded, West Coast were 9th and Port still in the top 8 (every other team had played beside 4).

The other way you can look at is Port beat Sydney in Round 1, a team that had just participated in the Grand Final and beat them. I am not too concerned by that stat. As I said the stat I am concerned more with is their big losses to Adelaide, Melbourne and Essendon. And perhaps its a good thing. Teams might underestimate Ports abilities like they did back in 2014.

You do realise that just confirms the stat.

However, I do agree that stats obviously don’t tell the full story though, Port could surprise us and win the premiership.

I am not doubting what you are saying. Obviously what you are saying is true. So is what I am. There are two stats there. One could say yes they have beaten a top 8 side the other could say they haven’t. You said stats don’t lie. But stats obviously can come up with multiple scenarios and ones that contradict what another says.

Its looking likely there won’t be a final played at the MCG in the first week of finals. The AFL will be hoping Richmond lose this weekend.

1 Like

Geelong if they come 2nd will play their home final at the MCG.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise Geelong and GWS played each other this week. It will be a good game with a possible rematch in the finals.

1 Like