ABC News Content and Appearance

I got the survey. It was a remix of majestic fanfare similar/the same to what they’ve used in promos on the news channel.

Miss this one

I really hope they don’t standardise Majestic Fanfare as the News theme. Regardless of the remix, it still sounds very dated and too camp. .

The ABC News theme is inconc. They need to look at the theme from the 90’s and base a new version off that.
The latest ABC News theme I always thought was a step backwards from the last few versions, it’s very understated.

4 Likes

The Australian’s online story on the trial has a video.

1 Like

it’s just the current intro with the early 2000s theme badly overlayed. Looks like a crap mock.

1 Like

I was under the impression it was going to be the 2005 theme, that’s the 1985 theme! Great to see there’s still love for that composition within the organisation.

Hard to tell from the video quality, but it sounds like there’s a little charm sound at the beginning, similar to the 10 News First theme.

The video link: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/abc-news-bulletins-potential-changes-to-the-7pm-news/video/34dbaab2fb9252cb4011873c24a38821

I wonder if they still have this version somewhere around from 2017…

1 Like

oh yes it is, doesn’t have the big build up the early 2000s version had.

2 Likes

Huge downgrade if they go back to that theme and don’t modernise it at all. Sounds horribly outdated.

1 Like

I do agree they way they have presented it in the survey feels unpolished and slapped on, echoing @SA_TV sentiments.

I would hope they plan to recompose the fanfare to work better through all mediums, or revisit the remix by Bag Raiders. Perhaps that would be the next step if it is favoured. Would definitely be cool to see it return!

3 Likes

That’s the most homebrand looking video mock I’ve ever seen! :joy:

So they did test both! what a relief.

The current theme, which should never have replaced the 1985 Wall & Ansell theme to begin with, has definitely come to its natural end.

Time to bring back an updated version of the Wall and Ansell theme, complete with long build up, and standardise it across radio and newsradio too. If the ABC are happy to bin the pips, they should be happy to drop majestic fanfare - I agree with Peter Wall’s comments that the news theme for the Australian public broadcaster should be written by an Australian, not a largely generic piece of music by an Englishman.

4 Likes

they could always remix and modernise it like how the BBC did with their election theme

2 Likes

Forgive me if this has been posted before - someone on YouTube did a decent mock of that remixed Majestic Fanfare theme. Always surprised they have had this in storage for a few years, I really like it, it’s a solid remix of an iconic theme…

7 Likes

They have modernised the theme well! I wonder what the source of that remix is… :thinking:

1 Like

Love this.

Managing Editor of Television and Video for ABC News (and author) Tim Ayliffe announced this afternoon that he is leaving the broadcaster.

After 17 years, I’m leaving ABC News. I’m grateful for having worked with so many wonderful people & I’m proud of the 1000s of hours of TV we’ve made. It’s time for fresh challenges… more novels to write, a TV series in the works, and most importantly - more time with my family

— Tim Ayliffe (@TimJAyliffe) December 12, 2023
4 Likes

Changes to ABC News department including the axing of The Drum as mentioned earlier, plus the relaunch of digital-first Stateline, and the launch of a new weekly news program focusing on the broader Asia region in 2024.

2 Likes

Any idea what’s going into the 6PM slot?

1 Like

Currently it is Back Roads repeats at 6pm and Hard Quiz repeats at 6.30pm.

2 Likes

The guide currently has “Great Australian Stuff” scheduled at 6pm from Monday - Thursday. Those programs you list are from 5pm.

1 Like